Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kid friendly backpacking recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a young kid I had a lot of fun hiking, camping, fishing, swimming, skiing, snowshoeing & exploring in the Pharaoh region. Still do at 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkgphoto View Post
      Definitely going to do the French Loui loop. How are the bears in the area? I use an Ursack for food/smelly stuff storage.
      I would not trust anything but the black Garcia canister.

Comment

We actually saw bear prints on the cedar lakes trail just past the dam in the vicinity of the couple tent sites that are there. Maybe I'm naive but imo the normal level of cleanliness and either an Ursack or a decent hang should be ok. I stay clean and bear hang in a dry bag wherever I go, and wouldn't feel any more or less comfortable with a canister. I'd also of course follow the local regs.

Comment

I know there are several ponds and lakes along the French Loui loop but are any suitable for swimming?

Comment

We didn't swim in them (although my son I think did wade in to West Lake to get out to the island nearest the lean to site) so can't speak to leach content. But West Lake at least has decent access for swimming, and Cedar Lake around lean to numbers 2 & 3 (the more northerly ones) have very good access for swimming. I was tempted to at Cedar 2 but didn't end up going in. It was kind of shallow for quite a while by the shore, but not sure how shallow or how far.

Comment

BTW a tip if you do the Louie Loop and are looking to camp near the Cedars. There's a nice official and marked tent site just past Cedar lt #2 if you are going clockwise on the loop. Just past the little bridge that goes over where Cedar and Beaver Pond join on your left. At least something to check out.

Comment

Lake George Wild Forest

I'll second Webby's suggestion of the Lake George Wild Forest. You could park at Dacy Clearing, climb Sleeping Beauty, hike on to Bumps Pond and Fishcreek Pond where there are two lentos and good swimming. There are other leantos in the area if those are full. You could climb Black Mountain and/or hike down to Lake George (superb swimming). It's a beautiful area!

Comment

Awesome I will research that now!
                  I second both of Webby's ideas. The French Louie loop would be outstanding if you have the time to do it as he did.
                  "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                  - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by webby459 View Post
                    BTW a tip if you do the Louie Loop and are looking to camp near the Cedars. There's a nice official and marked tent site just past Cedar lt #2 if you are going clockwise on the loop. Just past the little bridge that goes over where Cedar and Beaver Pond join on your left. At least something to check out.
                    I second that. Camped there several years ago. Really nice swimming beach across the trail from the camp site.

Comment

Just curious and I’m definitely no one to judge what anyone does with their child but I’m just wondering if the 22 mile French loop through the West Canadas is the best option for a ten year old during the height of deer fly season...?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                        Just curious and I’m definitely no one to judge what anyone does with their child but I’m just wondering if the 22 mile French loop through the West Canadas is the best option for a ten year old during the height of deer fly season...?
                        I kind of thought things escalated a bit from the initial 1-2 day 5 mile max the OP initially quoted.

I think a lot depends on the kid. My 12yo son prefers campgrounds to the backcountry, even though he does really like hiking mountains. When I was a kid I would have taken wilderness all day long.

I still think the Fish Creek area is a good compromise... There's some good swimming and lots of lakes to see in a small area. Unfortunately, there's no mountain though within hiking distance. If you fork out for a canoe you can paddle in to the general store for some snacks.

Another suggestion to throw out there would be the Copperas and Owen Pond loop outside near Lake placid. I've read there's a good jumping rock on Copperas. My son loves those.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
                          I kind of thought things escalated a bit from the initial 1-2 5 mile max the OP initially quoted.

I think a lot depends on the kid. My 12yo son prefers campgrounds to the backcountry, even though he does really like hiking mountains. When I was a kid I would have taken wilderness all day long.
                          Agreed, and had I been weened as a ten year old in the heart of the West Canada region during the summer months I’d probably have a higher threshold for deer flies, which have consistently been some of the worst I’ve ever experienced. I wish the best of luck.

Comment

It’s always the height of one season or another.

Comment

It’s always the height of one season or another.
                              Agreed. The West Canadas have always been a favorite area to visit during the height of fall foliage & late fall, not so much during the summer months imo. There’s really not many other options for campsites other than the lean-tos (which often quickly fill up during the summer), and swimming options are rather limited, and the summer bugs are some of the worst in the Adirondacks. Again, I’m not trying to discourage or deflate any ideas, only speaking from my experience over the years. Pharaohs rule! Putnam Pond loop...

Comment

Agreed. The West Canadas have always been a favorite area to visit during the height of fall foliage & late fall, not so much during the summer months imo. There’s really not many other options for campsites other than the lean-tos (which often quickly fill up during the summer), and swimming options are rather limited, and the summer bugs are some of the worst in the Adirondacks. Again, I’m not trying to discourage or deflate any ideas, only speaking from my experience over the years. Pharaohs rule! Putnam Pond loop...
                                I will look into Putnam Pond loop as well. Are the deer flies really that much less?

Comment

Working...
                                X