View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Honestly... all things considered, especially the kid factor, it seems like your plans might be a bit ambitious. The combination of portaging (with a family's worth of less than lightweight gear), potentially pushing for longer days, competing with other groups for campsite options, having a larger tent that may limit your campsite selection some, etc., all does not really lend itself well to an enjoyable trip with younger group members (especially a 2 year old).

And what if the weather doesn't cooperate? I wouldn't expect that the 2 and 5 year old are going to be all giggles and grins after several hours sitting in cold, pouring rain.

There's nothing wrong with having the desire for a trip like this as a family but with the kids especially, I think you'd be wise to work up to it through trips of intermediate difficulty (combined with a few more years of growth and development on the kid's part). I'll ditto the recommendations to consider other options- the Rollins Pond campground suggestion is a good one. That campground is very family friendly (and much less rambunctious of an atmosphere than the nearby Fish Creek campground), and you've got a ton of paddling in the vicinity. Plus you could take a day trip to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake to entertain the kids, and Saranac Lake and even Lake Placid aren't that far either.

If you're determined to stick to a backcountry trip, then my suggestion would be to make it a base camp trip- set up camp in one spot and stay there for the duration. Get in as early as possible on a Thursday so that you have a decent selection of sites still available for the weekend, snag one that works for you, and just do day trips from there. (If you do decide to expand the length of your trip beyond 3 nights, remember that a permit is needed to stay in any backcountry site for 4 or more consecutive nights. Permits are free and can be obtained from the DEC in advance of your trip.)

The firewood mention is a good idea- but if you do this make sure that you understand the firewood regulations. If you get firewood from a gas station, make sure it is treated. The label on the bag will indicate if it is treated (kiln-dried or similar); make sure you keep the label as proof in case a ranger happens to come by your campsite and asks.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote