No announcement yet.

Even a stripper couldn't wake up this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I'm thinking about giving up ice fishing. I find it way to difficult to cast my fly and land it in the hole I've just drilled. Anyone else have this problem?"

No problem, just hop on the back of my snowmobile and we'll troll for 'em.
    Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

Have you guys tried ice-fishing like this...?
      Some under ice views from beautiful lake Saarijärvi in Vaala, FinlandDivers:Fisherman: Eelis RankkaFisherman's friend: Tommi SalminenBoy with the balloon: Ju...

Comment

Not so fast all you would-be contest winners, its my turn. Believe it or not this is a true story. While trolling aboard my Blackjack, I heard a loud noise just feet behind me. It was early morning late fall and the water felt cold. I didn't pay much attention to the noise because I figured it was just a beaver smacking its tail on the water trying to scare me. Well I wish it was a beaver because what came next was a battle royal. I have seen videos of Canadian Geese chasing people on land and laughed my butt off, but never did I think a goose was so dam strong. I have no idea why this goose decided to attack me.
        A Hornbeck is a pretty stable fishing platform, not very easy to tip unless your struggling to fight off a goose that looks like its on Steroids. This thing came at me with everything it had. Im sure if I was standing, I could have kicked it or thrown a few knock out blows. Since I was seated at water level the bastard had an advantage over me. It pecked at my face and its raspy bill scratched me. At this point I felt that I was in a life and death struggle. If this bird came at me once more I may go in the drink. I had my paddle in my hands and my rod in my mouth when all of a sudden FISH ON. Here comes the bird again and I have a nice fish on the line.
        On his 3rd dive bomb I swung my paddle at him so hard that it slipped out of my hands and flew across the pond. I thought to myself "OH S@&T" what do I do now? With nothing but my hands to fend off the bird, I grabbed him by the neck on what turned out to be his final approach. His neck felt Like a hard Salami, very muscular. I looked him in the eyes and said "You're not the one to bring me down". I guess talking to him did the trick because when I released him, he hightailed it out of there. While all this was going on my reel was screaming. The fish was still on. Needless to say I was able to land this late fall beauty, here are a few pics.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mar71; 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mar71 View Post
          Not so fast all you would-be contest winners, its my turn. Believe it or not this is a true story. While trolling aboard my Blackjack, I heard a loud noise feet behind me. It was early morning late fall and the water felt cold. I didn't pay much attention to the noise because I figured it was just a beaver smacking its tail on the water trying to scare me. Well I wish it was a beaver because what came next was a battle royal. I have seen videos of Canadian Geese chasing people on land and laughed my butt off, but never did I think a goose was so dam strong. I have no idea why this goose decided to attack me.
          A Hornbeck is a pretty stable fishing platform, not very easy to tip unless your struggling to fight off a goose that looks like its on Steroids. This thing came at me with everything it had. Im sure if I was standing, I could have kicked it or thrown a few knock out blows. Since I was seated at water level the bastard had an advantage over me. It pecked at my face and its raspy bill scratched me. At this point I felt that I was in a life and death struggle. If this bird came at me once more I may go in the drink. I had my paddle in my hands and my rod in my mouth when all of a sudden FISH ON. Here comes the bird again and I have a nice fish on the line.
          On his 3rd dive bomb I swung my paddle at him so hard that it slipped out of my hands and flew across the pond. I thought to myself "OH S@&T" what do I do now? With nothing but my hands to fend off the bird, I grabbed him by the neck on what turned out to be his final approach. His neck felt Like a hard Salami, very muscular. I looked him in the eyes and said "Your not the one to bring me down". I guess talking to him did the trick because when I released him, he hightailed it out of there. While all this was going on my reel was screaming. The fish was still on. Needless to say I was able to land this late fall beauty, here are a few pics.
          Hey, that was my trained goose, sent to spy on you and keep you off my favorite ponds! I guess he's no match for a tough-as-nails NYC firefighter so you've earned your right to fish Pond X.

Funny now, probably not so much at the time! Excellent story.
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

I loved your story mar71. Almost hard to believe but hard to make this story up also. Excellant ending and fantastic fish!! Trying to figure out a great title for this story....mmmm !!
            "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Originally posted by wildbrookies View Post
              I loved your story mar71. Almost hard to believe but hard to make this story up also. Excellant ending and fantastic fish!! Trying to figure out a great title for this story....mmmm !!
              The goose that laid the golden brookie???

Comment

I submit that mar71's post is ineligible due to animal cruelty concerns.
                “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                  I submit that mar71's post is ineligible due to animal cruelty concerns.
                  This is a weak and pathetic attempt to influence the impartial judge of this event.

My only criticism of Mar71's story is that if he'd managed to hold onto the goose we could all be eating fois gras right now while sipping an icy glass of Pouilly Fume.

In any event, the judging is at 11:00PM so get your stories in!

Comment

And the Winner IS:

Mar71 and the attack goose, both for best story and picture.

2nd goes to Tick Magnet, for his wild fish and honest and credible C&R story.

PM me your addresses, guys, and I'll send out some flies.

The Rusty Hook award goes to Glen. While his story had merit his shameless attempts to discredit his fellow competitors, malign the judge and steal a fellow fly fisher's picture brought him down to his proper level. He gets this and is lucky to get it:
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a travesty. I suggest we allow the moderators to review this obviously rigged process. My story had everything, fish, sex, humor, and you vote for the dead goose? I'm done.
                      “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                      ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                        This is a travesty. I suggest we allow the moderators to review this obviously rigged process. My story had everything, fish, sex, humor, and you vote for the dead goose? I'm done.
                        I'm sure the moderators will come down on the side of Truth, Justice and the American Way. Yer hosed, mate!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Glenn no hard feelings bud your story was also great. I have that same dream almost every night with a few changes of course . I will buy you a nice cold one as a consolation prize when we meet.

Comment

Originally posted by mar71 View Post
                            Hey Glenn no hard feelings bud your story was also great. I have that same dream almost every night with a few changes of course . I will buy you a nice cold one as a consolation prize when we meet.

Nice try Mike, but I hope winning this contest is worth having your secret ponds disclosed. Of course, the "judge" could always prevent that from happening by reconsidering....and don't give me that "we don't negotiate with terrorists crap".
                            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Mike, no need to worry! The only 'pond' Glen knows about and fishes is this one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I understand the others get upset when he launches his float tube in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X