View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #31
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
A good point, but the question is when this map was made and based on what? Generally these maps I see are based on current populations and estimates.

The more interesting question would be what the moose population and range was before humans had a significant impact on the landscape. That may even precede the rise of the Iroquois nation in NYS.

And would the Adirondacks continue to support moose population, even on the fringes, if it weren't for the forest preserve and better logging practices and of course, lack of hunting? It seems as though at the time the park was created, the moose population was not exactly thriving.

What I tend to notice about that map is that it generally outlines the Boreal and Hemiboreal forests with some encroachment into Tundra. With the changing climate could come changes to these forest types and force the moose out of the southern reaches altogether. I don't know enough about their habitat requirements to understand what limits them from populating further south.
I notice the map does not show the Island of NFLD as moose range. Moose are not indigenous to the island and were stocked there in the early 1900ís. Today it holds the largest moose population of any region in the world, around 100,000.
And, most of the rock has been logged.

In the books about the ADK trapper Nat Foster, who hunted and ran a trap line from the Mohawk Valley to the St Lawrence river in the late 1700ís - the early 1800ís,
It only mentioned him shooting 1 or 2 moose. But he did shoot upwards to 100 deer per year, so I would guess there was never a large moose population in NY.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote