ADK 46ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADK 46ers

Lately I have noticed videos on utube about 46ers. You may find this one inspiring. I am not a 46er but have witnessed some unusual things on a few summits.

The journey of a 46’er doesn’t start with an idea, It starts with a relationship..a relationship with the Adirondack High Peaks..a relationship that requires...
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Maybe I'm wrong but the video looks like it has a some illegal drone footage in it.

Edit: I went down the internet rabbit hole and watched a bunch of his videos and I may have been wrong with my initial assessment.
    Last edited by Huezee; 03-14-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huezee View Post
      Maybe I'm wrong but the video looks like it has a some illegal drone footage in it.
      If that is true, then I hope the DEC discovers it and takes legal action.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Based on my recent perusing of youtube, this is not uncommon.

Can't be any worse than the jets...

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
          Based on my recent perusing of youtube, this is not uncommon.

Can't be any worse than the jets...
          When I was a navigator flying in the Air Force, both when based in Ohio and in NY, I would plan my training legs as much as possible to overfly familiar home lands that I knew, including where I grew up and of course the Adirondacks. When I hear them today, I look up and smile, knowing that they are the sounds of freedom.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
            knowing that they are the sounds of freedom.
            I wish they would tone it down a bit.

Comment

As a kid, it was something special to see an A-10 skimming over the treetops following the West Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                I wish they would tone it down a bit.
                They are loud, but thankfully not that frequent, at least where I usually am in the ADK. Drones and bluetooth speakers accompanying hikers....THAT is annoying. Experienced that for the first time in the past couple of years, and I'll take the occasional buzz by a jet any time.

Comment

Little known fact:

As the jet is flying overhead if you point your cell phone at it and track it your GPS will work and you can determine your own position. Even without cell tower connection.

(well, actually your GPS will work anyway but it is Wednesday and I have to have a little fun)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Eyes on the Forest, not on the Trees

Comment

While I assume it is unintentional, the title of this thread is inaccurate and misleading. It's important to note that the Adirondack Forty-Sixers, a.k.a. the ADK 46ers, is a 501(c)(3) corporation. To my knowledge, this video is not by the 46ers, nor is it endorsed by it. While Jonathan Zaharek is a recorded 46er, and hopefully a member in good-standing, his movie does not necessarily represent the organization.

Comment

We need drones carrying bluetooth speakers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TEO View Post
                        While I assume it is unintentional, the title of this thread is inaccurate and misleading. It's important to note that the Adirondack Forty-Sixers, a.k.a. the ADK 46ers, is a 501(c)(3) corporation. To my knowledge, this video is not by the 46ers, nor is it endorsed by it. While Jonathan Zaharek is a recorded 46er, and hopefully a member in good-standing, his movie does not necessarily represent the organization.

And your point is?
                        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

He didn't use a drone for any of this. He carries a handheld camera boom to create that lift-off effect. The aerial footage was legally filmed via helicopter.

Comment

But Really, Who Cares?

Could be a custom satellite cam which are available for bigger money. Some drones can fly a mile high and you will never hear them or see them. All it takes is money and nerve.

Comment

I, very easily, persuaded General Dan, a good friend, and an USNational Guard A-10 pilot to scout a trailless route up Allen from Elk Lake. My hiking partner and I reviewed his missile camera video recording and were inspired to head West from the 3200 foot contour on the Marcy Brook Trail. We climbed Little NippleTop, actually a large cube of exposed rock 20 ft high, McDonnel, and finally Allen, my 46th and my partner's first. 1992
                              He flew low to give us some excellent views. Lots of blow down SW of Allen - avoid.

Comment

Working...
                              X