View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Thanks for sharing that. A few years ago there was a wonderful article in "Adirondack Life" regarding Native American artifacts found throughout the Adirondacks. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the article but I remember it mentioning a clay pot found around Long Lake and other signs of habitation that were one believed to be impossible as the region was not a place where people lived; only hunted and fished on a seasonal basis as the story went.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
My BSA guide training crew found clay pot shards in cliff breakdown caves round Lows Lake while exploring the area around about 1992. An archeological team from the NY state museum came to investigate and determined from the designs on them that they were from the Iroquois era. Those pieces are now protected in the NYS museum.

When I was in 7th grade in Lowville, the social studies teacher, Arthur Einhorn, was crazy nuts over native NY Indian culture. The class spent most of that year studying what he knew and little else.