View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #17
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
As assbackwards as the state often is, it's hard to imagine the contract would be awarded if it didn't have a disposal (of the ties) component, especially since the work will be observed and scrutinized by many. But if anyone is truly concerned, I'm sure you could ask or FOIL the work plan.
I'm not sure what the concern is.

Are the ties going to be better if we move them to someone else's backyard? I'm sure if any are salvageable they'll be used and snatched up by landscapers and used for retaining walls. You can buy creosote treatments to put on any wood for piles, retaining walls, poles, whatever you want to treat it for rot resistance. It's not like this stuff isn't common and in our water already.

The ones pictured look like they've been pretty damaged by removal and are already rotting. Where they move them to let them degrade the rest of the way is relatively inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to get mad about leaving something there that has been sitting there for 100 years and is not readily recycleable, then I think you need to re-evaluate your environmental concerns. Perhaps it's a bit of an eyesore, but it will degrade faster than a lot of other "historic" stuff we let sit in the wilds.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote