View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 PM   #25
RiseAboveHiker

Although my family has been vacationing in the Adirondacks for five generations and so I have been up there for anywhere from a week to three weeks per year since age 3 months, it was in the Boy Scouts that I acquired my passion for hiking/backpacking. I spent my first long-term trip on the NP trail from Blue Mt (Tirell Pond) to Lake Placid in 1992 and discovered the Hudson Highlands near my home in Dutchess County as dayhikes while training for the NP trail. The memories and images I retained from those day trips and crowned with the NP trek were never to leave me. Not having any money or a reliable car I spent high school exploring my native Hudson Highlands and then college in barren and detested Virginia taught me what a treasure we have in the Adirondacks (Johnnycakes -- I understand completely your need to pack up and get out of Virginia, it was unbearable especially when everyone down there talked about how pretty a state it was!).

After college I landed a job here in Connecticut (which I rate probably one step below Virginia) and I now spend most weekends somewhere in the Northeast on some outdoor adventure although I tend to gravitate to the Adirondacks. I've since completed the NP trail three times and am presently at 30 peaks towards the 46, 15 towards the 35 Catskills, and 51 towards the Northeast's 115. I work as an editor for a non-profit and moonlight with a part-time job as a proofreader at a newspaper. I'm just now ending my third semester of attending part-time law school. While I manage to keep busy, the mountains is where I clear my head, blow off stress and rejuvenate myself. Whenever I find time I continue to pop in on my old Scout troop for an outing here and there to give back to today's youth the skills and love of the outdoors that Scouting gave to me. I consistently lead a week-long high adventure trip for the Scouts each August, most recently paddling on the Allagash up in Maine.

I'm 25, my real name is Mike, and my trailname - RiseAboveHiker - is meant to convey not only hiking high altitudes but also the need to "rise above" the setbacks, discomforts and obstacles we meet in varying form on outings that in turn prepare us to deal with these challenges in our jobs and families in real life. How's that for a name?

I enjoyed reading about everyone else out there; it's a pleasure to make everyone's acquaintance.
RiseAboveHiker is offline   Reply With Quote