View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I'm actually kind of surprised the eastern side of West mountain is getting any attention. That view is gone, and will likely never return. It was pretty good 25 years ago though before all those spruce trees grew up.
It's definitely getting some foot traffic. Not a huge amount by any means, but some.

It's too bad that tower was removed before the DEC softened their stance on towers in Wilderness areas. I'm sure the view from the tower- while it still stood- was nice.

Quote:
There are some amazing beaches in the Brown Tract area. I kind of hope not too many people read this because they are already pretty popular. But being off the beaten path in that area, they are much less than say Arrowhead Park.
I went back and forth on whether to mention them with similar concerns in mind. In the end I decided that it was clear that they get a lot of use as it is- and so aren't exactly a secret by any means.

Quote:
Not sure what to say about the remote areas. They just don't have any appeal. I mean you hiked all the way out there and didn't even take a look at Otter Pond.
For what it's worth, my decision not to more closely check out Otter Pond had less to do with any perceived lack of appeal, and more to do with the fact that I was distracted by route finding as I passed by. It looked nice (through the trees at any rate) and felt remote.

Quote:
Pigeon Lake could probably do with a lean to but it's also a pretty special area in terms of history in that it was never logged and probably never had camps. So it was relatively unmolested in terms of human contact. It still kind of remains that way. Not many people venture to the the south side of the lake. A trail between Lower Sister Lake and Pigeon Lake would be amazing, and even if it was out-and-back would really tie in the whole wilderness area.

I actually think a trail between Shallow Lake and the trail between Chub and Queer would be a better traverse.
I'm not as keen on the idea of a trail connecting Pigeon Lake with Lower Sister Lake. Lower Sister Lake is pretty neat in that it demands both a boat ride and a hike to reach, and building a trail from Pigeon Lake would kind of ruin that (even if the alternative were still a relatively long hike).

I do agree that without the views from West Mountain a new route could and should probably be constructed around the mountain. Maybe Pigeon Lake to Shallow Lake by way of Haymarsh Ponds, or Otter Lake to Cranberry Lake instead.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote