View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #37
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
[i]I am currently a 46er Correspondence to keep mountain climbing alive within me. As I am unable to climb due to an automobile accident almost 2 years ago.
ADK46r got me hooked on this site. Thank God he did. I love it. [/B]
Are you able to do the flatland?

I am a bit encumbered as far as doing any high peaks. Emphysema, torn rotator cuff and tennis elbow (which I cannot afford surgery for), I have had three back surgeries since 1978, when I was diagnosed with "degenerative back disease" and was told I would be in a wheelchair at 50 (I am now 62), two "mini strokes" (according to the doctors, I don't think they really know what they were) and in 1994 I was diagnosed with cancer of the colon and liver and given 1 year if I took radiation and chemotherapy. I opted out and went back to the rez to die among my People. Obviously, the doctors were wrong. Today there is no sign of any cancer, it was gone in a year. Lakota Medicine and a strong regamin of what I have done all my life, walk among the bowels of the mother! There is not a doubt in my mind that I am alive and active today because I refused to succomb to the barriers trying to prevent me from communicating with my God, My way.

I know that there is much beauty here in the dacks, and for a good deal of it, strenuous effort is not necessary. I can take anyone who does not believe in God to places here in the Southern Dacks, an easy walk under the canopy of the grandfather trees, and they will return with their minds changed.

I guess what I am saying is that I hope you are finding ways to continue doing what you love. Who knows, a trail here, a bushwhack there and maybe in a few years you'll be leading a grandchild up a peak, their eyes filled with wonderment.

After all, It's One Step At A Time!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote