View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #30
Gothics

Gothics---

I'm 17 year old girl near Syracuse, NY. I live on Otisco Lake. I have been car camping and hiking with my family since I was a baby. We had many family trips out to California, Texas, Idaho and Florida, and on the way we would camp out. out. My dad is a big outdoors guy so he taught me to apreciate the wilderness, and showed me that it can teach you a lot of things and gives you challenges. I had been hiking in the adirondacks many times, but never hiked a high peak.
Girl Scouts has also helped me explore the outdoors. I have lead numerous encampments, teaching outdoor skills like fire building, map and compass and outdoor cooking. I also have three older friends (freshmen in college) who have taught me a lot and took me on trips. I have hiked seven high peaks, we go backpaking 2-3 times a year. I was 13 on my first backpaking trip up Marcy. I earned my backpaking badge which helped me learn the essencials. Most of the planning was done for me but I learned what needs to be done. My second trip was up Cascade and Porter, taking the less traveled Garden route. I have also hiked the upper range, ended up hiking 17 hours straight, long story, but I learned that you have to be careful who you choose as hiking partners. I hiked Skylight most recently. I enjoy hiking because its fun to be with friends and meet new challenges. And its a good way to meet new people. You can feel free to be yourself and not worry. I would like to backpack more, and i'm starting an outdoor club, and looking for more peole who enjoy backpacking.
This summer I did a program called SCA (Student Conservation Assiociation) where I did trail work off Lake Chelan in Washington State for a month. I also backpacked for 25 miles. Western hiking has such beatiful sceanery. It was so amazing, especially when we hiked Courtney Peak for sunrise and saw numurous spectecular mountains surrounding us. If you ever get a chance to go to Washington, hike the Prince Creek trail off of Lake Chelan, I helped build it!!!. I love Washington!!!