View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #47
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Call it Black Elk Peak then because he stood at the top of it before Custer ever did. In fact in the Book "Black Elk Speaks" he states the following about standing at the top of the mountain where he had his vision.

“I was standing on the highest mountain of them all, and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world, And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell and I understood more than I saw; for I was seeing in a sacred manner the shapes of all things in the spirit, and the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.”

Or call it by it's Lakota name "Hinhan Kaga Paha" for it is to us a sacred place.

Incidently, Black Elk was nine years old when he ascended the mountain and had his Vision. Custer rode his horse up as far as he could go, The first WHITE person credited with ascending Harney Peak was Valentine McGillicuddy on July 24, 1975.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote