Lows lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
    Purely coincidentally, the edge of the compass in my avatar photo is placed approximately on Site #21 of Lows. The photo was taken by a student during a trek leader/guide training class.
    Lows is drawing us there...
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
      I'm going up next weekend for five days. Never been to Lows before so I'm trying to get as much info as I can. My buddy are starting to do less backpacking and more canoe camping. It's nice to be able to bring some non essentials!
      Be sure to climb Hitchins ridge on the way in...
      And do not miss the scramble up Grass Pond Mt, views from both are fantastic!

Comment

If it is windy when you enter the main lake, as you round the last bit of land sticking out at "lookout Point" (BSA private property only) you can paddle close to the more protected north shore. Stay downwind behind frying Pan Island and the other small island nearby. Remaining hugging the north shore you will come to a landing (looks like a dead end bay) and a carry trail that will put you back in the lake approaching site #23. Beyond this, beyond the shallows near site #25, there is a gravel road crossing that goes to the only other private holding on the lake (other than the BSA camp), a small cabin ("Parker camp") at the southern end of the road. You can easily do a short 15' hop over the road, which will put you into shallows leading to Grass Pond with more campsites.

At the far western end of Lows you will find a trail that will split and take you to some very interesting areas, including several nice ponds, deep kettle holes, and eventually Cowhorn Pond and beyond, as well as the carry to the headwaters of the Oswegatchie River. The adventurous may find it interesting to locate the Tri-County Marker and to stand in three different counties all at the same time.

Finally, if you do decide to climb Grass Pond Mountain (recommended, but there is no designated official trail), use a map and compass: please do not leave plastic flagging or make a trail of any kind as some like to do. I will only have to remove it and fill my pockets the next time I go there.
        Last edited by Wldrns; 10-15-2020, 09:02 PM.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
        X