Lows lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lows lake

I just have a quick question. Does anyone know if campsite 1 at lows lower dam is accessible by land or boat only. I am coming in late and I know I can camp at the lake down the road but I was just wondering about this site.
    Thanks guys

My memory is a bit hazy but I recall it being right near the boat launch and accessible by foot. I could be wrong on this, though- it's been a while since I was there. I would not expect to definitively be able to rely on it, however- especially if you're looking for the upcoming holiday weekend. Generally speaking, I would not at all be surprised if that site plus all of the Horseshoe Pond sites were occupied quickly this weekend.

You should also be aware that there's been some decent amount of nuisance bear activity at the Horseshoe Pond sites this year. Make sure you're keeping the site clean, storing food out of sight in your car, not leaving food out unattended, etc.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Friends of mine introduced back country camping to other friends at that site.
      It is easily hiked to and generally not a popular site.
      But, but, but, this is not a typical year!

Comment

Being practically on top of the launch, it is probably the least sought after site on the entire flow. I would be surprised if anyone stops there on first pass through (unless they come in very late).
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Sounds like I will be able to access it. I'm going up at the end of October so I'm sure I'll probably just see some hunters. This is going to be more of a relaxing hot tent trip and not a real backpacking trip.
          Thanks again

Comment

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure of your timing but figured I'd mention having a backup plan (and a backup plan to the backup plan) (and a backup plan to the backup plan to the backup plan) just in case you were considering the upcoming holiday weekend.

For late October I suspect that your odds of getting that specific site are probably pretty good. There are also a few additional sites between the launch and Hitchins Pond that do require paddling but they don't get a whole lot of use compared to the sites further west- so at the very least, you may need to do a short paddle, but you'll likely find something close to the launch for sure.

The sites at Horseshoe Pond I know do get used for permit hunting camps so even in late October, don't be surprised if you find many (most) of these occupied.

Comment

Don't know about that site, but I've typically just camped at one of the roadside sites near Horseshoe lake - there are a number of them down the road away from the lake that get almost no use (for good reason - they suck, but fine for a place to camp before heading out).

I've also stayed at Lake Eaton during the regular season - drove in at night, found a site and paid in the morning when I was on my way to Lows.
              Last edited by montcalm; 09-04-2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I have another question. I'm heading to campsite 17&18. I was wondering if the southern route by campsites 14&15 is able to be paddled? I thought I read somewhere that it is not and you have to go up and around. It seems alot shorter to go south past 14&15.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                  I have another question. I'm heading to campsite 17&18. I was wondering if the southern route by campsites 14&15 is able to be paddled? I thought I read somewhere that it is not and you have to go up and around. It seems alot shorter to go south past 14&15.
                  Unless the water level is extremely low (it is most everywhere else now), you should be able to head through the cut on the south side of the flow, paddling carefully into and through the normally shallow stump field heading up to 14 & 15 and eventually come out at 18 on the main lake.
                  Last edited by Wldrns; 10-12-2020, 12:23 PM.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Yea, Now I'm wondering if it's too shallow. Do most people take this route or do the go up and around to get to 18? Which way do you think is shorter?

Comment

Yea, Now I'm wondering if it's too shallow. Do most people take this route or do the go up and around to get to 18? Which way do you think is shorter?
                      definitely shorter to take the cut, and more protected if it is windy. But I have not been there this season, so don't know about the water level. Anyway it is always a fun challenge to poke your way through the stump field east of site 15.

Comment

Wldrns is correct about the "back" route. I go that way all the time (even in the summer) when I am heading to 17/18 or the sites on the southern shore. I go the main route when I am heading for sites on the north shore. The only time I had a problem getting through the back route was when they were repairing the upper dam and water level was really low. Are you headed there this coming weekend?
                        "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                        - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'm going up next weekend for five days. Never been to Lows before so I'm trying to get as much info as I can. My buddy are starting to do less backpacking and more canoe camping. It's nice to be able to bring some non essentials!

Comment

I'm going up next weekend for five days. Never been to Lows before so I'm trying to get as much info as I can. My buddy are starting to do less backpacking and more canoe camping. It's nice to be able to bring some non essentials!
                            Agreed, I do more canoe camping than backpacking now as well. If everything works out, I am hoping to get trip in this coming weekend into early next week. I haven't decided on a definite destination yet, but Lows is on the list of possibilities. My profile photo is at Lows (site #21) a couple of years ago.
                            "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                            - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Purely coincidentally, the edge of the compass in my avatar photo is placed approximately on Site #21 of Lows. The photo was taken by a student during a trek leader/guide training class.

Comment

Working...
                              X