View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Wldrns

I've been a hammock camper for many years. Since I tend to spend much more time bushwhacking off trail than traveling the trails, most of my nights are in remote primitive areas far from any designated campsites. I used to have to search frustratingly long and hard for even the tiniest relatively flat spot for a solo tent. Hammocking instantly relieved me of that burden, since I could set up over any wet, rough, brushy, hilly, or rocky terrain in just a couple of minutes. There are always a couple of properly spaced trees available everywhere in the wooded backcountry.

Ironically, when you take a hammock to popular designated campsites, it can be difficult to find the right spacing of moderate sized trees without going outside the boundary of the impacted zone. Many times the trees are far too large, and/or not properly spaced. Perfect for tenting, not so much for hammocking. Doing so on the impacted margins only increases the impacted area further and continues to degrade the site. Definitely not LNT.