View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Jelf

Many of you already know that Gmap4 is a general purpose file viewing tool for GPX, TPO, KML, KMZ and a couple of other file types.

I have posted beta version 934 (June 13th) that lets Gmap4 also be a general purpose WMS viewer. Why might you care? At last count there were approximately 1.2 bazillion WMS servers out there and this beta code can display most of that data. Specifically, you can:

* Build a Gmap4 link to display multiple layers from multiple WMS servers
* Turn transparent layers on/off one at a time or all together
* Change the stacking order of transparent layers
* Display transparent layers on top of any basemap hardcoded into Gmap4 or on top of any basemap added via WMS

As a software developer, it is always exciting to develop a feature that is first-of-its-kind. If there is any other software that lets you "click link - see WMS data", I would like to know about it.

For example, here is a link that starts the Gmap4 beta code and displays a basemap which is the Google aerial centered near Denver and a WMS overlay showing the boundaries of federally owned land. Zoom in for more detail. This boundary data covers the USA. A fast way to shift the map to your own area is Menu ==> Search.
Link to federal land boundary map

The Gmap4 beta page has more examples and documentation showing step-by-step how to make your own Gmap4 links to display any WMS data you wish to see.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta.html

The example maps on the beta page include:
* USA map with current weather radar
* NOAA coastal navigation charts including the most detailed charts
* Current forest fire boundaries
* Index to 1:24,000 scale topos for USA
* Index to 1:50,000 scale topos for Canada
* and more

There might be some kind of limit as to how complex(?) these maps can be. Gmap4 uses the Google map API but Google’s docs do not mention any such limit.

I would enjoy seeing any cool way you use this feature.

Also, while I am happy to answer questions please help me help you by first reading the information on the beta page. That information will answer a great many questions.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA
Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote