View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
Thanks for posting a great trip report and photos. It not only connected my visits to the individual areas of your trip, but the Oswegatchie portion brought back memories of the many trips I made up and down that river when I had my guide service (Five Ponds Guide Service), worked as an ASF on the river and adopted/maintained four of the leantos on the Five Ponds trail (Big/Little Shallow, Wolf and Sand) back in the late 80s-early 90s. It was interesting to hear that campsites on the Oswegatchie were missing numbers. That was the case back in the late 80s as well. On one extended trip on the river, I renumbered all the sites up to the Robinson River (including one that had been skipped during the previous numbering). Back then Pine Ridge still had the old growth white pines; I would always stop there and sit among them. One time, while walking into them, I tripped and did a face plant. When I got up, a deer antler was wrapped around my ankle. That antler still sits on a bookshelf in my home office. Thanks again for bringing back so many treasured memories.
With 46 sites, some of them little used, I don't doubt that it's been an ongoing effort to keep them all marked. In addition to signs falling down on their own as they age (and the tree grows out and around the nails), I'm sure that a few folks over the years have also purposefully taken down the signs for their "favorite campsite," so as to discourage others from finding and using it- a problem that I've witnessed elsewhere in the Adirondacks.

In any case, though, it seems like it's time for another enterprising DEC employee to head back with the objective of once again trying to re-mark them all.

It's sort of coincidentally funny that the count ended up at 46- sort of makes me want to become an "Oswegatchie 46er," by spending a night in each campsite on the river. Since the lean-tos are counted among the numbered sites, that puts me at 6 down, 40 to go. (41 to go if we're counting the two High Rock sites separately.)
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote