View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacandagaSchout View Post
I'm looking to hunt out of a wall tent for several weeks this rifle season. I've never done a wall tent before. Looking to hike it 2-4 miles back in the woods for several weeks, and set it up on a frame made of local (down and dead) timber and run a wood stove in it. I'd want to be able to fit two people, beds and gear. I realize it would take several trips to get all the gear in there.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tent? It's tough finding the right balance between weight (preferably 35 lbs or less) and size (I think 10x10 would be comfortable enough, not sure about 8x10) and price (looking to stay below $900).

Some of the brands I'm looking at are Eena, Panther Primitives, Atuk, and Alaska Tent and Tarp.

I'm leaning toward the Eena, but it's not flame retardant-treated. Does anyone know whether that's necessary when running a stove, either as a matter of law (as I have seen suggested on other websites) or common sense?

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions about any of this stuff. I'm open to buying used as well, if anyone happens to know of any opportunities.
I would also, choose the Alaska Tent along with the Snow Trekker line. I believe the Alaska brand is a double-wall type that would help with condensation issues. But the only time I have had condensation issues with my choice in canvas wall tents was during a all-night rain. But once I got the wood stove stoked and hot it all but disappeared. Are you planning on going to Cranberry Lake? The sites are limited in my experience for setting a tent up without any issues. Accessibility is easiest by water. I know there is HedgeHog pond which usually is occupied by other hunters. Then there is Curtis Pond or Janacks Landing, (Point) which you can also arrive by boating to these sites.