View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Wldrns

The Harrington Brook carry is rough because of the many irregular shaped rocks you may have to cross near the brook, but they do not extend not all the way. Rainer Brook is an interesting little side trip paddle. Put in where the RR track crosses.

Take some time to poke around the old Robinwood resort when you reach Bog Lake.

The channel between Bog Lake and Lows is nothing like you would expect from its depiction on the topo map. It is actually a narrow winding channel through a swampland, and there may be a beaver dam or two,not a broad opening as the map indicates.

The final push into Lows may feature an open channel through the floating bog, or it may not. Either stick to the far left (south side toward Tomar) of the big floating bog or go around to the right to get into the open lake. Tomar is the most boring mountain in the world.

Grass Pond does offer a couple of very fine campsites. There are interesting side hiking trips in the area that some people (too many) will already know about, which I would rather not directly publish here.

It is easiest to bushwhack up the ridge on the SW side of GP Mtn following the obvious ridge up for topside fantastic views east, south,and west on three different view points along the ridge summit. You can find a Colvin tripod anchor and a BM there. Please do not leave unauthorized plastic colored flagging on the way up or down. I gather pockets full of the junk every time I go there once or twice a year.

The final paddle to the trailhead at the west end of Lows is a bit of a submerged stump field. Nothing too difficult to negotiate, but just beware.

Big Deer Pond is shallow and does not offer very good drinking water. You can put in at a poor access point and and paddle across it to catch the trail on the far side, or you can carry all the way around the north shore to the western side, all still on trail. Again, there are interesting things to see in the area that i will not publicly discuss.

I haven't done that carry in a few years, but somewhere along it beavers had flooded the trail. You can either carry on the dam, or it has been easier to actually paddle across. Shortly after the big derecho blowdown of 15 July 1995, the trail was cleared out of logs with cuts too narrow for most canoe carts to easily pass through. What a pain that was. One wheel up on a log, the other down. Thankfully that has been corrected since.

Be sure to stop at the mailbox right on the trail and read some of the comments left there.

The trail ends at a spring flowing from underground into the Oswegatchie. The water is extremely cold and you will freeze your feet. Not far upstream, multiple beaver dams and fingers of streams upwelling from the ground define the actual headwaters.

I dare you to keep an accurate count of the number of beaver dams on the way downstream. I once lost count somewhere around 70.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-01-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote