View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #19
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I also had my sights set on the GRB Peeper, from my friends at Newmandesigns but none were being made or available that season. They have other more substantial canoes in carbon fiber that might fit your needs.
https://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/tou...-canoes-page-3
After looking through their website, I realized that I do also have some experience with GRB canoes- many of the rec canoes at Paul Smith's were GRB boats, and I remember them being pretty quality boats. I have to say, though, that the GRB website is frustratingly light on the details of some of their models. No indication whatsoever of weight capacity on some of the models. A few models don't even list the weight of the boat itself. I also can't really find much information on the construction of the boats, such as what the skin materials are comprised of. Makes it kind of hard to shop around casually on their site.

Quote:
Don't overlook the Swift brand of canoes. Similar in design and function to Placidboats. Both are of David Yost design, and had the same engineer work on development. Same with the Colden canoe line.
Oooh, these do look nice- thanks for the recommendation. I'm especially liking that they have the option to add on skid plates that are the same color as the canoe itself (looks like that adds 2 pounds to the boat's weight, though). I also like that their website has a built in function allowing you to compare to features of multiple models side-by-side. Swift wins the award for best website, at least. Also, their Prospector 14 looks like it's the pickup truck of solo boats, with a 400 pound capacity- yet it still clocks it at only 25 pounds for the carbon-kevlar model.

Some brief, causal comparisons with Placid Boatworks canoes, however, would seem to indicate that Swift canoes are slightly more expensive in comparison to equivalent Placid Boatworks counterparts? The brand definitely still looks to be worth considering (and I've added a few models to my short list).

Quote:
Of the ultralight all-carbon Blackjack Hornbecks I have seen since, I know that more than one has developed cracks in the rolled carbon Gunwale rails.
Yeah, from what I've been reading, carbon is the strongest option but it's also brittle- meaning that when a crack does start to form, it can propagate quickly. As tempted as I am by the Blackjack models, this does make me feel some hesitation towards them. I know that Hornbecks are also available in either full kevlar, or a kevlar/carbon blend (either option with cherry thwarts and gunwales). It looks like Placid Boatworks uses a carbon/kevlar blend for the entire boat- skin, thwarts and gunwales. Swift gives you the option to pick between aluminum, a carbon/kevlar blend, and cherry wood gunwales, as well as a variety of skin options including several kevlar options and a carbon/kevlar blend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
My fishing/hunting partner has a Hornbeck BlackJack and looking at his in the water it is tipsy and the sidewalls are much lower... he's taken on water from wind/waves while fishing. His backrest doesn't support him well either and so he added a beach chair to provide better support.

I'd go for the PB Spitfire... actually I'm placing an order this week for a PB 12 Ultralight for my wife as we have several trips planned this year. You are already familiar and experienced using the Spitfire... why change to something else now?
Yeah, I've been plotting all of the boats on my shortlist on a graph, comparing boat weights with stated capacities. Hornbecks noticeably have the greatest capacity for the least weight out of all of the options- but weight and capacity alone aren't the only considerations, and it does seem like there's some trade offs with the Hornbecks to achieve that specific measure of performance.

I think you're right, and the Spitfire 13 is definitely at the top of my list because I have the most familiarity with it by far- and I know it will suit my needs. But while price isn't a huge obstacle for me at the moment, I do think it would nevertheless be wise for me to at least consider alternatives- especially the cheaper ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Another recommendation for canoe makers is Dave Curtis at Hemlock Canoes. http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/
Thanks for the recommendation. These canoes look pretty nice also, and there's a few models that fit within the criteria that I'm considering- so I've added a couple of these to the short list also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
My criteria was a boat to fit me, a full pack and a dog and I thought the SpitFire was a little small for that.
Good point about the dog- I don't currently own one but may decide to get one at some point. My parents have a dog that I could conceivably see myself dognapping for a trip or two, but she's pretty small so I think she'd fit into a small solo boat with me without much of an issue. I did give it some thought after reading your post, and I think I'll probably keep the dog out of the equation for now- that's a bit too much of a "what if" that wouldn't likely happen for a few years at the soonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
Have you tried the Adirondack canoe company?

http://www.adirondackcanoecompany.com/

I've seen there boats but never used one.
The Boreas looks intriguing. 24 pounds in the pack boat setup, and it only costs $1,600? Sort of has me wondering what the catch is. I also don't see any sort of weight capacity listed for that model?

I'm liking the Skylight as well. Does anyone have any experience with these boats?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote