View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #4
Wldrns

I have been wind bound in an eastern bay on Stillwater more than once. Luckily my wife knew enough about that lake not to panic with me staying out there an extra night if weather dictates. it seems that too often I have headed out under cloudy nearly windless sometimes wet days, only to have a clear sky high pressure system come in at the end of my stay, bringing a strong wind out of the west.

I remember a while back, it has been quite a few years now, a news story about a couple of hunters in a motorboat on the eastern end who took a wave over the transom that sank them. One guy never made it to shore. The other did and tracks showed that he walked an estimated 20 miles along the corrugated north shoreline to the dam at the western end. Unfortunately he decided to cross over on the dam instead of going a short distance farther to the logging road and the bridge crossing the river below the dam. He proceeded to slip off the dam to his death, nearly home free.