View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
You can't equate the black hills to the Daks. The reason the ratio is so high is that there are very few people there. Granted mountain lion attacks are as common as great white attacks (or insert some other apex predator, wolves?) but they certainly are capable of killing people and they certainly do. Google the list there was one last year. I understand the desire to reintroduce them but let's not pretend they are harmless. Im not saying they are rabid human killers like the ferocious north jersey black bear, by any stretch, but it happens. You may think its an acceptable risk to having them back but others would disagree.
Actually there are a lot more people in the Black Hills area then there are in the Adirondacks. It's a very popular tourist area with all the attractions including Rushmore, Custer State park, Harney peak, Sylvan Lake, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave and the whole cluster of tourist trap towns. I beleive that the Black hills has the highest cougar to human ration in the US. Perhaps Gulo or Eastern Puma could verify the accuracy of that statement.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote