Before Spar Varnish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before Spar Varnish

What was used to prevent stretching/sagging on rawhide web laced snowshoes?

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
    What was used to prevent stretching/sagging on rawhide web laced snowshoes?
    Shellac would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
      Shellac would be my guess.
      You might be right but; Not everyone in country would have access to shellac, say like a trapper or Native American and I wonder if shellac would hold up to the moisture.

[a few minutes later]
      I posted same question in another forum and 'Beeswax and Pitch' was answered. Those make sense since everyone has access to one or the other.
      Last edited by Woodly; 08-31-2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: add'l info

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
        You might be right but; Not everyone in country would have access to shellac, say like a trapper or Native American and I wonder if shellac would hold up to the moisture.

[a few minutes later]
        I posted same question in another forum and 'Beeswax and Pitch' was answered. Those make sense since everyone has access to one or the other.
        Interesting....I know my pair from the 40s is shellac. I also remember reading that boiled linseed oil was an option, but like you said, probably not something you could make yourself out in the field.

Comment

Thanks Johnny...I like asking questions because of the responses. No doubt many things were tried and used.
          I've always used spar varnish 'cause that's what I was taught, infact just finished a pair of 14x48 Fabers with their 2nd coat today, but I knew there had to be something more.

Comment

Working...
          X