Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hiking in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Which bear canister - Lake Colden? (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=13438)

Grey-Jay 04-16-2010 08:05 AM

Which bear canister - Lake Colden?

Bear Vault continues to state that their brand should not be used in the Marcy Dam corridor. So which brand, if any, are backpackers using in this area?

DSettahr 04-16-2010 09:38 AM

Most people are using the Garcia Bear Canisters.

timetohike 04-16-2010 01:32 PM

My son and I both use the counterassault bear keg.

Hobbitling 04-16-2010 02:21 PM

There is also a smaller version of the Garcia made by another company, called the "Bare Boxer". I picked one up at the Mountaineer. Fully certified, but about half the size of a Garcia. good for solo or short group trips.

It looks pretty much like a garcia, but the latch mechanism is slightly different. They make the small one, called "the Contender" and the larger one, called "The Champ".

A stupid name, but a good product.

Grey-Jay 04-16-2010 02:23 PM

Bare Boxer

just read about it . .for solo food for a weekend, seems to be the best choice . . .although no one wants to carry the weight of these things.

Wldrns 04-16-2010 02:36 PM

Yeti

And then there's always the Yeti Tundra. Certified grizzly resistant, a requirement for the Yukon 1000 race. We paddled with the 120 qt model last year. We saw 4 bears, but none could swim fast enough to catch us. :rolleyes:

Grey-Jay 04-16-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wldrns (Post 143959)
And then there's always the Yeti Tundra. Certified grizzly resistant, a requirement for the Yukon 1000 race. We paddled with the 120 qt model last year. We saw 4 bears, but none could swim fast enough to catch us. :rolleyes:

But since this obviously doesn't fit in ones pack, one pays for helicopter transport to drop it at your desired campsite.

peregrinfalcon 04-16-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkayaker (Post 143921)
Bear Vault continues to state that their brand should not be used in the Marcy Dam corridor. So which brand, if any, are backpackers using in this area?

Does anyone know if this bear (the one with the ability to open Bear Vault) is still operating? The Bear Vault website last references 2008.

pennyanmurph 04-26-2010 12:51 PM

Last I knew Yellow Yellow was still going strong.

viewseeker 04-26-2010 01:18 PM

Yellow Yellow is still there, id buy the Garcia, i got the full size one its not that much weight for the saftey of your food miles away...

NicksMaint 05-05-2010 12:58 PM

I have both the Bear Vault and a Garcia, the Garcia gets my vote. I use the Bear Vault when going to a lean-to where a bear container is not required, but will keep the mice out of the food.

Tom

Pete_Hickey 05-05-2010 02:49 PM

For a group

While a little awkward to carry, this one (approved) will let you carry enough food for eight hungry workers for a week.

http://mudhead.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/bearcan.jpg

IIRC, it weighs about 40 pounds empty.

redhawk 05-05-2010 04:00 PM

My understanding is that Yellow Yellow will soon be moving. He has signed a contract as a beta tester for bear vault. He will be given a very large area to roam in and call his own and he will be given the best of bear food.

However, don't be fooled. This is really a ploy by Bear Vault to get him out of circulation and stop all the bad PR they're getting.

In short, it's a bribe.

Hawk

jan 05-05-2010 04:03 PM

Actually, Yellow Yellow is a female.

redhawk 05-05-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan (Post 145653)
Actually, Yellow Yellow is a female.

He's got you fooled too, eh? :confused:

jan 05-05-2010 09:33 PM

Egads! You mean I've been hoodwinked! To think that I believed that sob story about how she had hungry little babies back at the den to feed. I carried all that heavy food in there and let her walk off with it when I could've filled HIS rotten hide with lead.

viewseeker 05-06-2010 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbitling (Post 143953)
There is also a smaller version of the Garcia made by another company, called the "Bare Boxer". I picked one up at the Mountaineer. Fully certified, but about half the size of a Garcia. good for solo or short group trips.

It looks pretty much like a garcia, but the latch mechanism is slightly different. They make the small one, called "the Contender" and the larger one, called "The Champ".

A stupid name, but a good product.

A friend also owns one of the Bareboxer, its about 1.2# for the solo can and 2.4 for# for large, works very well and fits 3 days of food for one. He says it fits in his pack very nice , much better than larger size. 39.99 from there website

Grey-Jay 05-06-2010 08:07 AM

I bough the Bare Boxer at the Mountaineer this week. Fine for a solo weekend.

Will fit food and toothpaste but certainly not a bag of garbage.

Small enough to allow use in many more pack styles.

Dick 05-06-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkayaker (Post 145725)

How much garbage would you be likely to generate in a solo weekend trip? If you do have a lot, consider packing up garbage into smaller units.

Dick

viewseeker 05-06-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkayaker (Post 145725)

Only garbage i make is the same bags of dehydrated food which then pack down even smaller and cliff bar wrappers..How much at mountaineer for that can? worth buying from them to support them though.