Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hiking in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Parking lot near Follensby (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27525)

JohnnyVirgil 02-16-2020 12:18 PM

Parking lot near Follensby

Does anyone know if the parking lot off Rt 30 near Beaverwood Road is generally plowed? Thanks.

DSettahr 02-16-2020 12:38 PM

I believe it is usually plowed. I parked there when I did a winter overnight at the lean-to a few years ago.

JohnnyVirgil 02-17-2020 09:47 AM

Thanks, I was hoping that it was. Thinking of heading up there this weekend for a couple of nights.

JohnnyVirgil 02-18-2020 04:57 PM

Follow up question -

Do any of the sites on Follensby have thunderboxes these days?

DSettahr 02-18-2020 07:59 PM

Given the ease of access, I would be surprised if there weren't any thunderboxes at any of the sites at all. But I honestly don't know.

With that being said, good luck finding them under the snow in the winter. IMO, there really needs to be better signage for the thunderboxes, in particular to make them easier to find when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground.

(And even if you do find one, hope you like squatting over the hole itself, since there may not be any room next to the thunderbox for your legs.)

JohnnyVirgil 02-18-2020 09:52 PM

I’m gonna bring the groover just in case, but if they had privy’s that would make life easier. I’ve never been there before and the guy I’m going with hasn’t been there in over a decade, and he didn’t remember any at the campsites.

montcalm 02-18-2020 09:59 PM

I know all the Islands in that area have either at least on privy or thunderbox. The ones I remember on Follensby are privies, but they may have been recently replaced. I haven't been there in a couple years.

I can't recall for sure about the shore sites, but I think most have privies.

The only thunderbox I remember in that vicinity is on the island on Floodwood pond.

JohnnyVirgil 02-19-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 280377)
Given the ease of access, I would be surprised if there weren't any thunderboxes at any of the sites at all. But I honestly don't know.

With that being said, good luck finding them under the snow in the winter. IMO, there really needs to be better signage for the thunderboxes, in particular to make them easier to find when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground.

(And even if you do find one, hope you like squatting over the hole itself, since there may not be any room next to the thunderbox for your legs.)

I'm a cathole expert, so no worries there. :)

JohnnyVirgil 02-27-2020 05:03 AM

So it turns out neither of the parking lots on Follensby are plowed. We had to park at the fish creek campground (after talking to a DEC guy in a pickup, not sure if he was a ranger or not...)