Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   "By the Fireside" (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Outdoors is my new trademark. Fight me. (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27405)

JohnnyVirgil 11-08-2019 10:39 AM

Pretty sure “resolve amicably” means “sent a cease and desist letter.” Ha

Muddy Creek 11-08-2019 11:38 AM

Same thing happened to Hanes, the underwear company when it sued Hanes Hummus, a small shop in Canada, for trademark infringement citing "confusion in the marketplace." Perhaps only a trademark lawyer or a greedy CEO can't tell the difference between underwear and a tasty bowl of hummus. It backed down after public reaction and ridicule.

Woodly 11-08-2019 03:48 PM

I noticed today that 'Backcountry' is advertising widely on the internet today.

debmonster 11-08-2019 05:51 PM

Apparently, Backcountry has had a change of heart (or perhaps they realized the long-term effect on their reputation and bottom line) and has fired their law firm and dropped the lawsuits. Too little, too late for many of the small businesses who either shut down or had to re-brand: https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-f...-relationships

JohnnyVirgil 11-08-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debmonster (Post 279138)
Apparently, Backcountry has had a change of heart (or perhaps they realized the long-term effect on their reputation and bottom line) and has fired their law firm and dropped the lawsuits. Too little, too late for many of the small businesses who either shut down or had to re-brand: https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-f...-relationships

Fired their law firm? Donít law firms just do what you tell them? Itís not like they were sending letters and filing suits nobody knew about. 19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.

debmonster 11-08-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil (Post 279141)
19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.

Agreed. My reference to a "change of heart" was meant with sarcasm, but I forgot the /s/. Power to the people! :)

Woodly 11-08-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil (Post 279141)
Fired their law firm? Donít law firms just do what you tell them? Itís not like they were sending letters and filing suits nobody knew about. 19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.

That's just a method of saving some face and showing the populace they 1. did screw up and 2. are serious in their apoligee.

Lets see if the law firm sues them:)

JohnnyVirgil 11-08-2019 06:57 PM

Apparently they went after a guy who had a picture of a mountains goat in his logo. Hereís an example from the Facebook page:

I just can't hold back anymore. I am the owner of a consignment/secondhand outdoor gear shop in Boise, ID. The name of my shop was Backcountry Pursuit for the first five years I was in business. That was until Backcountrydotcom's lawyers got a hold of me and forced a rebrand. My shop is now called Boise Gear Collective. They came after a used gear shop employing 14 people at the time in Boise, ID that had zero online presence besides and informational website and the occasional Craigslist post. I am happy to say I am thriving now and have grown to 23 employees in the past year despite this entire mess and the tens of thousands of dollars it cost me. I feel rather vindicated that this is all happening and I so appreciate the community standing behind small businesses like mine. It still doesn't replace the money I lost fighting this battle, but hopefully the local community will spend a little more at my shop this winter stock up and holiday season.

Woodly 11-08-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil (Post 279146)
Apparently they went after a guy who had a picture of a mountains goat in his logo. Hereís an example from the Facebook page:

I just can't hold back anymore. I am the owner of a consignment/secondhand outdoor gear shop in Boise, ID. The name of my shop was Backcountry Pursuit for the first five years I was in business. That was until Backcountrydotcom's lawyers got a hold of me and forced a rebrand. My shop is now called Boise Gear Collective. They came after a used gear shop employing 14 people at the time in Boise, ID that had zero online presence besides and informational website and the occasional Craigslist post. I am happy to say I am thriving now and have grown to 23 employees in the past year despite this entire mess and the tens of thousands of dollars it cost me. I feel rather vindicated that this is all happening and I so appreciate the community standing behind small businesses like mine. It still doesn't replace the money I lost fighting this battle, but hopefully the local community will spend a little more at my shop this winter stock up and holiday season.

And that is why we need to care.
I for one am glad this thread was begun.