Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   General Adirondack Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Road into Lily Pond (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27451)

wiiawiwb 12-16-2019 09:45 AM

Road into Lily Pond

Does anyone know the condition of the road into Lily Pond? I'd like to drive in to it but am reluctant without a better idea of what I'm in for. Thanks!

DSettahr 12-16-2019 10:23 AM

The Lily Pond by Brant Lake in the Lake George Wild Forest? I understand that the road from Brant Lake is not maintained for winter automobile access, and I think (but am not 100% sure) that it is used as a snowmobile trail in season. With the end of the big game season yesterday, it may even now be gated and locked until there's enough snow for snowmobiles.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Wldrns 12-16-2019 02:31 PM

As W well knows, it was the site of an as yet unsolved SAR incident four years ago. I rode in there in ranger trucks at the time (it was mid-November) and as I recall, it wasn't too bad with a few wet muddy stretches and shallow puddles. I think a car could carefully make it fairly easily in season. The parking area at the pond is in a bit of a dip that could be tricky if muddy. The pond is not all that far from the main highway, and I walked the equivalent or more of that distance several times in the bush over the 8 days I searched in there, so snowshoes or skis at this point could be a definite option if you can avoid being hit by snowmobiles.

wiiawiwb 12-16-2019 09:19 PM

I might give it a go this coming week. Having said that, those who've been on that road know that once you're on it doing a u-turn is a challenge even on a beautiful summer day. It might be prudent to head over to the Grassville Rd parking lot and hike in the from the southwest.

Thanks Wldrns and DSettahr!!

Justin 12-16-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 279702)
The Lily Pond by Brant Lake in the Lake George Wild Forest? I understand that the road from Brant Lake is not maintained for winter automobile access, and I think (but am not 100% sure) that it is used as a snowmobile trail in season. With the end of the big game season yesterday, it may even now be gated and locked until there's enough snow for snowmobiles.

This is my thought also. I’ve been by there a million times over the years and the gate is usually closed after the regular big game hunting season ends until there is enough snow to reopen it for snow machine use, similar to other seasonal roads/snowmobile corridors.

peskypup 12-16-2019 10:53 PM

It's a snowmobile trail in the winter. There's not enough snow for the trails to be open yet, but I'm pretty sure the gate was closed when we drove by last weekend. Access via Grassville Rd is probably a better bet.

Buckladd 12-24-2019 07:24 AM

My concern would be the condition of the road following the Halloween storm. I hunt out of a camp not far from there and only those of us with vehicles with good clearance and 4WD were able to navigate to the camp after the storm. The road to the camp has washout of various levels throughout and every weekend was different depending on the amount of snow and ice. I would think Lily Pond Road would be similar. Check it out by Saturday if you can, as some interesting weather is coming Sunday. I'd be curious to know what you find for road conditions.

Dave Bourque 12-24-2019 09:27 AM

I drove by Lily Pond Road on 12/12, it was not yet gated and someone had driven up the road as evidenced by the tire tracks. At that time there was only a few inches of snow on the ground, the area has received more since then. The road is gated during the winter but I cannot tell you the date. The local snowmobile clubs might know as the road is a snowmobile trail during the winter. You should note that if the gate is locked there is very limited parking along Rt 8. I haven't driven up the road since the Halloween storm. If the road was not damaged it is possible during the summer season to carefully drive a car all the way to the pond.