Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum News and Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How about a little bit about yourself (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=3202)

adktyler 09-30-2008 03:50 PM

ok, sounds good.

Night Dog 10-02-2008 02:15 PM

Hi my name is Ralph.I am 53 and been hiking since I was nine.I enjoy x-country skiing and downhill skiing,mt.biking ,and road biking.I am a 46er and a Catskill 3500 member.My first high peak climb was Mt. Marcy in 1972,but I did not get interested in climbing all 46 until 1997,and then by 2001 I climbed all 46 and MacNaugton.

ADKechoes73 10-05-2008 07:09 PM

Hello, new here...
 
Just thought I'd tell everyone I'm new here and look forward to posting on the forum, been looking for people to discuss my obsession with the Adirondacks for a while now. I'm an 18yo college student, drummer, and outdoor enthusiast. I've done a lot of traveling and without a doubt the ADK park is not only my favorite NYS park but also my favorite of any park in the US as well as CA, and I don't think that'll ever change. I'm a bit earthy but not a hippy, I just enjoy the natural/organic lifestyle (but I'm not anti-hunter like many of that type, I hunt myself). Well that about does it, hopefully I can make some new friends here that really share my love the park because not many of my friends get it unfortunately. With each new generation the respect and enthusiasm for the outdoors seems to diminish more and more...

dke1924 11-09-2008 09:16 AM

I lurked on this forum for over a year before joining a couple of months ago, and I'm glad I did.

My name is Dave, I'm 34, married and I am a geologist, working for a small environmental consulting company near Rochester. Between the Boy Scouts as a kid, my time in the Marine Corps, geology field trips in college and my current pursuits, I have been hiking and camping for most of my life. My first experience in the ADKs was in the Scouts on a trip up Ampersand. I didn't return to the park until I was 20 in 1995 for a trip up Algonquin.

Unfortunately, with work, life, etc., I don't get out as much as I would like (my wife does not share my affliction). My best friend, who I did Algonquin with in 95, has lived out of state (and for a while out of country) since college, but he comes in once a year for our annual fall hike. Usually somewhere in the high peaks (not in the eastern high peaks since 97), but a few years we have done other hikes, like west canada lakes area and a section of the LT in VT. His brother in law has come with us each year since 2000. The annual fall trip has become a very special part of my life, and I look forward to it every year.

I am an aspiring 46er, but I am in no hurry. My wife says I should set a goal of getting them by the time I am 50. Sounds like a good pace to me. I see the 46 as less of a goal and more of a framework around which to plan trips. I have 18 so far.

Anyway, that's me. Great forums, I look forward to many more interesting discussions.

adktyler 11-09-2008 11:46 AM

Welcome, dke1924! Great to have you here.

dke1924 11-09-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADK88 (Post 111465)
Welcome, dke1924! Great to have you here.

Thanks, great to be here.

And to clarify my opening remarks, I am glad that I joined, not that I lurked for a year first. ;)

RichK 11-10-2008 01:40 AM

Let me see where to begin:

My name is Rich and I'm from Rochester. I'm 22 and in my senior year at Syracuse Univeristy about to finish up a major in finance. I'm an aspiring investment banker and I have 2 dogs that usually take part in my adventures. A few days ago I got bored and decided that knocking out the Adk 46 would be my next challenge. My history with mountaineering is non-existant but I'm going to learn as I go. I'm not sure what else to say but if there are any questions just hit me with them.

adktyler 11-10-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichK (Post 111522)
Let me see where to begin:

My name is Rich and I'm from Rochester. I'm 22 and in my senior year at Syracuse Univeristy about to finish up a major in finance. I'm an aspiring investment banker and I have 2 dogs that usually take part in my adventures. A few days ago I got bored and decided that knocking out the Adk 46 would be my next challenge. My history with mountaineering is non-existant but I'm going to learn as I go. I'm not sure what else to say but if there are any questions just hit me with them.

Hey, you should come join us for the beer night!

redhawk 11-10-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichK (Post 111522)
Let me see where to begin:

My name is Rich and I'm from Rochester. I'm 22 and in my senior year at Syracuse Univeristy about to finish up a major in finance. I'm an aspiring investment banker and I have 2 dogs that usually take part in my adventures. A few days ago I got bored and decided that knocking out the Adk 46 would be my next challenge. My history with mountaineering is non-existant but I'm going to learn as I go. I'm not sure what else to say but if there are any questions just hit me with them.

Not to worry. The 46 do not require any "mountaineering". They are all non-technical treks.

Like a walk in the park but mostly uphill and downhill. :)

RichK 11-10-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADK88 (Post 111534)
Hey, you should come join us for the beer night!

I was going to do that but I'm stuck in the cuse during the week days.

adktyler 11-10-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichK (Post 111550)
I was going to do that but I'm stuck in the cuse during the week days.

Oh, sorry about that. Bummer.

stripperguy 11-15-2008 08:55 PM

Welcome, Mr. Gulo....is your user name a refererence to your reverence for wolverines? Tough little guys, aren't they? I've only been out by Stillwater once or twice...I keep a sheath knife strategically cached on the bottom of that resevior, long story.
What other activities do you enjoy in the Adirondacks?

NYgulogulo 11-16-2008 09:03 AM

You got it, stripperguy. Kudos for knowing the scientific name. Forgot to put my actual name. I guess I get to ask if your name is due to your reverence for strippers? Ya gotta do something with all those singles!

TC

redhawk 11-16-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 112269)
Welcome, Mr. Gulo....is your user name a refererence to your reverence for wolverines? Tough little guys, aren't they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYgulogulo (Post 112291)
You got it, stripperguy. Kudos for knowing the scientific name. Forgot to put my actual name.
TC

I thought that was "gulo luscus"?

ClimbingOnRocks 11-16-2008 05:47 PM

My name is Kevin. Im Currently a Junior at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. When I was younger my parent always took me camping and hiking, and i caught the bug. But this is one sickness that i love having. I have been to most of the national parks out west (use to live in Montana 12 years ago). Right now im "Living" in New Jersey but that simply because my parent live there.

Since i go to school so close to the Adirondacks I spend a good number of my weekends doing something. I have been Rock climbing for the past 7, originally just in a gym and then about 5 years ago i started climbing outside. I have climbed multiple times at the Gunks, 2 summers ago i spent 2 weeks climbing in Yosemite Valley. I have also climbed several times in Keene Valley but admit that I really should climb there more. In the past year I have started hiking alot more and have been working on the 46 (Currently at 14). I have also done a fair amount of Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in NJ & PA and done some backpacking in New Mexico. This past summer i purchased a kayak and have enjoyed kayaking in the Adirondacks, especially on Fridays when I get out of class and I look forward to kayaking more this spring.

This coming winter I look forward to doing some High Peaks during the winter, Ice climbing and improving my ice technique as much as possible, and skiing in what ever time reminds. All while balancing the work related to going to school for engineering.

FlyingCow 11-16-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClimbingOnRocks (Post 112330)
My name is Kevin. Im Currently a Junior at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. When I was younger my parent always took me camping and hiking, and i caught the bug. But this is one sickness that i love having. I have been to most of the national parks out west (use to live in Montana 12 years ago). Right now im "Living" in New Jersey but that simply because my parent live there.

Since i go to school so close to the Adirondacks I spend a good number of my weekends doing something. I have been Rock climbing for the past 7, originally just in a gym and then about 5 years ago i started climbing outside. I have climbed multiple times at the Gunks, 2 summers ago i spent 2 weeks climbing in Yosemite Valley. I have also climbed several times in Keene Valley but admit that I really should climb there more. In the past year I have started hiking alot more and have been working on the 46 (Currently at 14). I have also done a fair amount of Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in NJ & PA and done some backpacking in New Mexico. This past summer i purchased a kayak and have enjoyed kayaking in the Adirondacks, especially on Fridays when I get out of class and I look forward to kayaking more this spring.

This coming winter I look forward to doing some High Peaks during the winter, Ice climbing and improving my ice technique as much as possible, and skiing in what ever time reminds. All while balancing the work related to going to school for engineering.


And CUOC invades ADKForum!!!

...actually I think it's only the two of us.

ClimbingOnRocks 11-17-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingCow (Post 112360)
And CUOC invades ADKForum!!!

...actually I think it's only the two of us.

Yeah CUOC! Yeah it probably is only us two.

UpstateIrish 12-19-2008 04:39 PM

Hi, my name is Pete. My dad's side of the fam came from Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake and he would always bring me up to hike a 46er or hang out in Long Lake when I was growing up.

I liked these sojourns but was much more interested in spending time in cities like Boston and New York (where I currently live). As I have gotten older (turned 30 this year) more of my friends have been getting married in the ADKs and in going back there, I have fallen in love with the place. I am already making plans with my buddies to hike the MacIntyre Range and am going to sign up for membership in the ADK.

Also, I am glad I found this place that discusses all things Adirondacks. Looking forward to the discussions to come.

PA Ridgerunner 12-20-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpstateIrish (Post 115167)
Hi, my name is Pete. My dad's side of the fam came from Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake and he would always bring me up to hike a 46er or hang out in Long Lake when I was growing up.

I liked these sojourns but was much more interested in spending time in cities like Boston and New York (where I currently live). As I have gotten older (turned 30 this year) more of my friends have been getting married in the ADKs and in going back there, I have fallen in love with the place. I am already making plans with my buddies to hike the MacIntyre Range and am going to sign up for membership in the ADK.

Also, I am glad I found this place that discusses all things Adirondacks. Looking forward to the discussions to come.


Hey Pete,
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you left Beantown because of all those sox fans. :evil: Good luck with the Macs...you're gonna love 'em!

skichucky 12-20-2008 05:20 PM

grew up in Horseheads NY, yeah thats right, Horseheads. Graduated from
SUNY COrtland with a degree in Phys. Ed. Went to Professional Umpire schol immediately after and landed a job in minor league baseball as an umpire. good times. too much travel. 6 months straight, never go home.

Now i am a behavior interventionist in a middle school in northern vermont. i work with students on the Autism spectrum. it is a good gig.

i got into the outdoors at SUNY cortland in their Outdoor education program , which is necessary to graduate with a Phys. Ed degree. We spent 2 weeks based on Raquette Lake, taking a few excursions, one of which was a 4 days backpacking tri to the high peaks. I fell in love with it.

now I do mostly canoe camping, i enjoy fishing. In the winter all i do is ski. i have been a ski instructor for 6 years, past 3 at Stowe. I no longer do that, just hike and skin , earning my turns. I bring my dogs with me everywhere, they love freshies!

27 years old, married, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 jersey steers, and a bun in the oven (boy, due mid-feb). i am convinced the ultrasound picture had a pair of skis in there, sorry dear.

WinterWarlock 12-20-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skichucky (Post 115203)
grew up in Horseheads NY, yeah thats right, Horseheads. Graduated from
SUNY COrtland with a degree in Phys. Ed. Went to Professional Umpire schol immediately after and landed a job in minor league baseball as an umpire. good times. too much travel. 6 months straight, never go home.

Now i am a behavior interventionist in a middle school in northern vermont. i work with students on the Autism spectrum. it is a good gig.

i got into the outdoors at SUNY cortland in their Outdoor education program , which is necessary to graduate with a Phys. Ed degree. We spent 2 weeks based on Raquette Lake, taking a few excursions, one of which was a 4 days backpacking tri to the high peaks. I fell in love with it.

now I do mostly canoe camping, i enjoy fishing. In the winter all i do is ski. i have been a ski instructor for 6 years, past 3 at Stowe. I no longer do that, just hike and skin , earning my turns. I bring my dogs with me everywhere, they love freshies!

27 years old, married, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 jersey steers, and a bun in the oven (boy, due mid-feb). i am convinced the ultrasound picture had a pair of skis in there, sorry dear.

Living the life brah...welcome to the forum.

chairrock 12-20-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skichucky (Post 115203)
grew up in Horseheads NY, yeah thats right, Horseheads. Graduated from
SUNY COrtland with a degree in Phys. Ed. Went to Professional Umpire schol immediately after and landed a job in minor league baseball as an umpire. good times. too much travel. 6 months straight, never go home.

Now i am a behavior interventionist in a middle school in northern vermont. i work with students on the Autism spectrum. it is a good gig.

i got into the outdoors at SUNY cortland in their Outdoor education program , which is necessary to graduate with a Phys. Ed degree. We spent 2 weeks based on Raquette Lake, taking a few excursions, one of which was a 4 days backpacking tri to the high peaks. I fell in love with it.

now I do mostly canoe camping, i enjoy fishing. In the winter all i do is ski. i have been a ski instructor for 6 years, past 3 at Stowe. I no longer do that, just hike and skin , earning my turns. I bring my dogs with me everywhere, they love freshies!

27 years old, married, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 jersey steers, and a bun in the oven (boy, due mid-feb). i am convinced the ultrasound picture had a pair of skis in there, sorry dear.

I just finished doing 29 years with Autistic kids, keep up the good work! I know how difficult it can be both mentally and physically . I also used the outdoors to decompress...

DuctTape 12-20-2008 07:27 PM

Just a welcome to all the newcomers to the forum. This is a great place with great people. Hope to see you on the trail.

darnedsox 12-21-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner (Post 115188)
Hey Pete,
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you left Beantown because of all those sox fans. :evil:

:mad:
HEY! There are ruls around here 'ya know- no politics, yankee foul talk or religion. :D

PA Ridgerunner 12-22-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnedsox (Post 115237)
:mad:
HEY! There are ruls around here 'ya know- no politics, yankee foul talk or religion. :D

Well, darnedsox, that might be my last shot on behalf of the Yankees. If what Manny says is true (hey, it could happen!), and the Yankees do give him a three year deal, or even a one year deal, I may seriously consider moving to the dark side. :gripe: But that bandwagon is pretty full, so maybe I'll become a Jays fan. :eh?:

UpstateIrish 12-22-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner (Post 115277)
Well, darnedsox, that might be my last shot on behalf of the Yankees. If what Manny says is true (hey, it could happen!), and the Yankees do give him a three year deal, or even a one year deal, I may seriously consider moving to the dark side. :gripe: But that bandwagon is pretty full, so maybe I'll become a Jays fan. :eh?:

Thanks for the welcome wishes! And I grew up an Indians fan so I am really screwed up! As it gets closer to the climb date I will definitely pick all your brains about the best way to climb that range. I really enjoyed doing Big Slide a few years back and am looking to get back on the trail. Happy holidays!

The Fireman 02-09-2009 10:44 PM

Hello all,

I stumbled on to the forum a couple days ago and it has definatly got my attention.

A little background about myself. I'm 24 years old from Oswego Ny, I work as a mechanic in an alluminum rolling mill located just a few miles from my home. I spent alot of time in the park when I was in the boy scouts (I'm an eagle scout), my best memories of scouting were the hikes we did in the high peaks area with my father.

My father and myself section hiked the NPT in the summer of 02, was a great trip but the weather left alot to be desired. I think we had 2 days that it didnt rain from dawn to dusk. We're going to thru hike the trail this september, I cant wait. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and if we're real lucky the leaves will be changing while we're out there.

I've also been picking away at the 46 high peaks, I started on them when I was 14 with the boy scouts, I've got 9 so far (3 were completed this past sumer on a vacation, the other 6 were done before I got out of school)

After I graduated from school I went to work and havnt had a lot of time to hike over the past 5 years, but when I got in at the mill I found myself with some more time to get out and enjoy the woods a little more. I've always had a love for being in the woods, everything seems to move at a slower pace and I find that very relaxing.

adktyler 02-10-2009 12:00 AM

Welcome, Mr. Fireman! It's great to have a new face on here! :thumbs:



And to everyone else, this thread takes FOREVER to load!! I guess that's what happens when you have a bazillion views and replies.

spenny 02-10-2009 09:17 AM

I am a British girl who has been in the USA since July....legally i might add. Me and my husband(who is American) started bushcrafting in the UK about 5 years ago. We used to go to Ashdown Forest. We both lived in London and so we craved the outdoors and getting back to nature as we never ever saw true nature in the city. I am an ex flight attendant and my husband works in IT.
The ethos of our old bushcraft group was to travel light and leave no trace. we attended courses on wilderness living and learnt some awesome skills from the other members.
Hammocks were the main accommodation and we also carried fixed blades. we learnt knife care and also how to make knives from scratch. Since moving to the USA we have not been shrafting and we are itching to get back out there, hence the reason i joined this forum. we are searching for other people who are interested in bushcrafting who know the area better than we do.

stripperguy 02-10-2009 07:22 PM

Ms. spenny,
Welcome to the forum. Poke around, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you and your hubby.
Ashdown Forest, huh. Is that the one in East Sussex? Near Wych Cross?
Actually, I have no idea where that is, but Google Earth has pretty good coverage.
Are there many undeveloped areas in the UK? Just curious...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.