Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   General Adirondack Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best deer fly control I have found (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=15763)

stripperguy 06-08-2011 10:53 PM

Here's some more anecdotal data...
Deer flies can find you as you travel at any speed less than about 8 mph.
Deer flies can stick with you at speeds up to 11 mph.
Deer flies will give up if you are going more than 13 mph.

(I spend about 1,500 miles per year on my road bike, just to research deer fly aerodynamic performance)

1894 06-09-2011 03:13 PM

Thanks ALL for this thread :thumbs: I often do my dangnest to avoid it , but some how I may have learned a few things :clap:

poconoron 06-09-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 171351)

(I spend about 1,500 miles per year on my road bike, just to research deer fly aerodynamic performance)

Don't know if you're pulling our collective legs or not, but those stats actually seem within reason to me............ I tend to spend alot of time during this time of year on a mountain bike, and it's the one way to pretty much avoid them if I'm going fast enough. I've never actually clocked it though.

stripperguy 06-10-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoron (Post 171404)
Don't know if you're pulling our collective legs or not,

No, I'm not joking at all.
I really do spend a lot of time cycling, and on the really hot days, sans a shirt.
On some of my climbs (some lunch time rides include over 2,500 ft of climbing) my speed drops to single digits and I cringe.

So, over the course of about 15 years of lunch time rides, I have observed the speeds at which these little critters can find you, follow you, and actually light and bite. Of course, the 8 mph find speed is somewhat misleading...but if there is a deer fly within some distance (distance not known) and you're going less than 8 mph, they're gonna find you!

fisher39 06-10-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 171351)

Do these also apply to windspeed? If I were a deer fly, I'd be more apt to stick around stationary prey than something I have to chase, even if I have to work just as hard to stick with it. Then again, I'm not sure deer flies are capable of having motivational issues.

Alpine1 06-10-2011 11:46 AM

From my experiences while Mtn biking I concur with these findings completely. Now I stay out of the woods during DF season and pedal the roads until the pesky critters have died off!!!

[QUOTE=stripperguy;171351]Here's some more anecdotal data...

mphilli2 06-14-2011 06:39 PM

I've resigned myself to rubbing on liberal amounts of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, and that seems to work as well as anything else: "Be like the promontory against which the waves continually break, but it stands firm and tames the fury of the water around it."

stripperguy 06-20-2011 08:54 PM

OK, I tested my theory again yesterday on the Miami (pronounced My-Am-I) River...I was swarmed by deer flies just dropping the boats off from the car.
Slathered up with Hawaiian Tropic stuff and had nothing around me (or us) in prime deer fly territory.