Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Water temps etc. (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27776)

salar4me 08-14-2020 11:45 AM

Water temps etc.

Stopped stream trout fishing the 1st week of June this year due to lethal temps... looks as if this might be our future. DEC is interested in feedback on an Oct 15 to April 1st catch and release season. At first I wasn’t an advocate thinking it best to leave the critters alone to do their mating (as I prefer likewise ...). Now thinking a compromise and my season would be from Dec until June... just say’en

Stillhunter 08-15-2020 03:28 PM

Things would be locked up with snow and ice from December till mid April. If they opened the trout ponds for ice fishing the brookies would get decimated. That is also how a lot of ponds are ruined with bait fish, illegal ice fishing. I say keep it as is and back off when it gets warm in July and August like you did.

chaser 08-16-2020 12:11 PM

What is the reason for the Oct. 15 season finale? Is it to protect the trout (at least brookies) during spawning or is it to correspond with the date that we all had to renew our licenses back in the day?

Northcountryman 08-16-2020 03:59 PM

I think so but back when I used to keep my catch (more than 10 yrs ago), I remember catching midsummer trout already with eggs. Admittedly, I am no fish biologist and no little about their reproductive processes so I guess it makes sense in that they're mating in summer sometime, then lay eggs in the fall??

Glen 08-17-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northcountryman (Post 282752)
I think so but back when I used to keep my catch (more than 10 yrs ago), I remember catching midsummer trout already with eggs. Admittedly, I am no fish biologist and no little about their reproductive processes so I guess it makes sense in that they're mating in summer sometime, then lay eggs in the fall??

They aren't mammals. Eggs are deposited in gravel if possible and fertilized at the same time.

Northcountryman 08-17-2020 09:57 AM

Yes, you're right, fertilization of the eggs is external, can't believe I forgot that !! How long do they carry their eggs prior to depositing them for fertilization then?

Glen 08-17-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northcountryman (Post 282767)
Yes, you're right, fertilization of the eggs is external, can't believe I forgot that !! How long do they carry their eggs prior to depositing them for fertilization then?

Not sure but I would guess at least 3 months.

EagleCrag 08-18-2020 08:31 PM

I think the date is because nesting fish are supposed to be easier to catch when on their nests. That is definitely true of bass but not sure about trout. I don't think they guard their nests like bass.

Lucky13 08-21-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen (Post 282766)
They aren't mammals. Eggs are deposited in gravel if possible and fertilized at the same time.

I'll bet he thinks that is a really big brook trout in your avatar, too!! :boozing:

Lucky13 08-21-2020 09:58 AM

My recollection is that the season was extended to October 15 when the limit was dropped from 10 to 5 plus 5 under 8 "(NB: this has changed again!). I always thought it was a cruel joke because the rules for MRP require 4 wheel or chains after October 1, and I had neither.

Glen 08-24-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky13 (Post 282835)
I'll bet he thinks that is a really big brook trout in your avatar, too!! :boozing:

Are you questioning the authenticity of my photo? :rolling:

Lucky13 08-24-2020 11:28 AM

I never question a magician at work! I didn't say it wasn't authentic, but I refuse to believe that the angler and the trout are the same distance from the camera!