Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   General Adirondack Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thoughts on Gothics via Pyramid (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19322)

jesst7 10-05-2013 11:26 PM

Thoughts on Gothics via Pyramid

I'm fairly new to the High Peaks area and recently hiked my 4th. The most challenging being Dix from route 73. I enjoyed the hike so much and now I want to hike Gothics with some friends. How does the hike from Gothics via Pyramid and Dix compare? Is one more challenging than the other?
I've done lots of research on the forums and was just curious of everyone's thoughts? Thanks

Telemarkmike 10-06-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesst7 (Post 208010)
I'm fairly new to the High Peaks area and recently hiked my 4th. The most challenging being Dix from route 73. I enjoyed the hike so much and now I want to hike Gothics with some friends. How does the hike from Gothics via Pyramid and Dix compare? Is one more challenging than the other?
I've done lots of research on the forums and was just curious of everyone's thoughts? Thanks

Dix from Route 73 is as steep as any of the trails get in the ADK's. Gothics via Pyramid is no harder.

rdl 10-06-2013 10:14 AM

They're both steep and steady climbs to peaks with awesome views. If you could do Dix with no problems then you'll have no problems with Gothics via Pyramid.

adkjack 10-06-2013 11:58 AM

IIRC it is 1,200 feet of ele gain from the Pyramid/ Sawteeth col and pretty steep. However no worse than the climb up Dix. The views from Pyramid make this route outstanding. Have fun and keep an eye on the weather. This route can be challenging with ice.

jesst7 10-06-2013 01:25 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. We want to stay the night so we plan to set up camp on the way in and hike up Gothics via Pyramid and loop down through Beaver Meadow. I know the area around Ausable is private and no camping is allowed. Are there any other areas on the way in to setup camp?

rdl 10-06-2013 08:08 PM

Across the street from the parking area, towards the base of roaring brook falls are some designated campsites. Otherwise there are sites along Gill Brook on the east side of the Ausable club road, but that takes you out of your way -- maybe not a big deal if you have the time and inclination though.

jesst7 10-07-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdl (Post 208043)
Across the street from the parking area, towards the base of roaring brook falls are some designated campsites. Otherwise there are sites along Gill Brook on the east side of the Ausable club road, but that takes you out of your way -- maybe not a big deal if you have the time and inclination though.

Great, thank you so much! Looking forward to this hike.

Neil 10-07-2013 10:29 AM

I did Gothics on Saturday with a group of nine of mixed abilities and experience level. In order to make the hike much more interesting for everybody (and a little bit longer) we started at the Garden and went up Ore Bed Brook and the "Cable Route" and descended over Pyramid and the Weld Trail. While being the most time efficient route up Gothics, the Lake Road/Weld Trail combination is, IMO, also the dullest with the exception of course of Pyramid Peak.

Total time for our group, including someone who wore brand new boots that pained him miserably, one full hour on the summit and a couple of bottlenecks on steep slippery passages above the cables, was just over 10 hours.

The only logistical exigency with this particular loop option is that you need two vehicles, you arrange for shuttle service or use a bike.

jesst7 10-07-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 208079)
I did Gothics on Saturday with a group of nine of mixed abilities and experience level. In order to make the hike much more interesting for everybody (and a little bit longer) we started at the Garden and went up Ore Bed Brook and the "Cable Route" and descended over Pyramid and the Weld Trail. While being the most time efficient route up Gothics, the Lake Road/Weld Trail combination is, IMO, also the dullest with the exception of course of Pyramid Peak.

Thanks, we're open to other routes but we're trying to avoid the cable this trip. It's probably not bad, but maybe next time :D

WiseFool 10-08-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdl (Post 208043)

These campsites near Roaring Brook that you mention, I imagine that they fill up quickly? What would be the likelihood of finding an available camping spot early Saturday morning?

jesst7 10-16-2013 03:29 PM

It was an amazing day and an amazing hike.. Trip report here

Neil 10-16-2013 04:28 PM

On Saturday two of us stepped out onto Pyramid very briefly en route to Gothics around 2 or 3 pm. Maybe our paths crossed without us realizing it.

It was an amazing day, huh?

jesst7 10-17-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 208658)
On Saturday two of us stepped out onto Pyramid very briefly en route to Gothics around 2 or 3 pm. Maybe our paths crossed without us realizing it.

It was an amazing day, huh?

We reached Pyramid around 10:30am and there was just one other person there. Many more people on Gothics. Gorgeous day! A group of guys were there celebrating with a bottle of wine. So happy to see everyone in good spirits. :D

Adirondackiteer 10-29-2013 08:41 PM

Fantastic! I might try to do a similar route next year, I loved Gothics when I did it this summer, but didnt get to do Sawteeth or Pyramid, so need to go back! I did it when I was a teen(sawteeth), but have no recollection of it.