Even a stripper couldn't wake up this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even a stripper couldn't wake up this forum

That's what Glen said last week and you know, for once he's right. I looked over in the canoeing section. Plenty of pictures of nice looking strippers but not too many views.

That's understandable. It is, after all, Groundhog Day. It's also mid-winter, cold and snowing. So here's how we're going to liven things up: Sero has bequeathed a large box of flies that need new homes. My job is finding homes for the wee things once they arrive. Our first dispersal will be in the form of a contest. There will be two winners: one box of flies for the best Adirondack fish picture of 2014 posted here and one box for the best fish story as judged by yours truly. The story may be wholly true or contain embellishments or details that might not have been obvious at the time. That is, bald-faced lies are acceptable and will be treated as matters of fishing fact. I, members of my family, heirs and heirs to be are ineligible.

So let the games begin! And here are a few nice ineligible brookie pics to get the blood going!
    Attached Files
    Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

OK, I'll bite.

While this isn't a monster. As far as I can tell, the fish doesn't have any time in the back of a NYSP UH-1. I CNR'd it out of a small flow on a trib of a trib of the Sacandaga River. Not a great story, but worth the three mile hike/ bushwhack. TM
    Attached Files
    Tick Magnet

Comment

Nice!

OK, all, bring on the pics and stories! Or has everyone gone into hibernation?

I know Glen is participating in the Long Islan Quilting Bee so for once he has a legit excuse.

Comment

Here's my entry:

After hiking in 20 miles to a pond I determined through various calculations and sunspot phases to be a candidate for big brookies, I hooked this one on a size 24 spinner floating perfectly in the surface film. Using a silk line and antique gut leader made landing this beauty especially challenging. As I tangled at the last minute, I handed the fish to Upstate Dave to hold while I photographed it. He is not the type of guy to try to steal credit for someone else's catch unlike a certain other forum member.
        Attached Files
        “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
        ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Another entry. This is a picture of Vtflyfish demonstrating his Catch and Release technique.
          Attached Files
          “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
          ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

After screaming like mad that he had a record breaking fish on, Vtflyfish couldn't even find it in his net. The reading glasses helped determine that it was just an inch longer than his fly.
            Attached Files
            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

After a 200' hike Glen was exhausted so he sat down to fish. His bobber and worm are clearly visible.
              Attached Files

Comment

So I've submitted my pictures, and here is my story:

After letting the varnish dry thoroughly on the bamboo rod I just made, I prepared to descend to the piazza, martini in hand (shaken,not stirred) to try some lawn casting. Several lovely sunbathing gals were admiring my technique when one said "My dad owns a nice cabin on a lake near here. Do you like brook trout?" I could barely believe what I was hearing. She got dressed and offered to take me over to try the fishing, unfortunately in that order. After driving through the most beautiful private drive we came upon the cabin. Well, she called it a cabin but it was more in the style of a great camp. After a brief tour she showed me to the boathouse where several guideboats were hanging on their bronze pulley contraptions. She insisted on accompanying me saying she knew the spring holes and that was the key to finding the fish. I did not object. After a short row, and another martini, we stopped in a sheltered bay and I opened my fly box. She suggested I try the "pretty red and white one" so I tied on the old Dr. Breck. On my first cast I landed a five pounder. She said try again, that was a small one. On my second cast a wind came up and on the forward cast I felt a bang on the back of my head. As I woke up on the floor I realized I had been casting in my sleep and fell off the bed. This always happens to me just before things start getting interesting....
                ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                  So I've submitted my pictures, and here is my story:

After letting the varnish dry thoroughly on the bamboo rod I just made, I prepared to descend to the piazza, martini in hand (shaken,not stirred) to try some lawn casting. Several lovely sunbathing gals were admiring my technique when one said "My dad owns a nice cabin on a lake near here. Do you like brook trout?" I could barely believe what I was hearing. She got dressed and offered to take me over to try the fishing, unfortunately in that order. After driving through the most beautiful private drive we came upon the cabin. Well, she called it a cabin but it was more in the style of a great camp. After a brief tour she showed me to the boathouse where several guideboats were hanging on their bronze pulley contraptions. She insisted on accompanying me saying she knew the spring holes and that was the key to finding the fish. I did not object. After a short row, and another martini, we stopped in a sheltered bay and I opened my fly box. She suggested I try the "pretty red and white one" so I tied on the old Dr. Breck. On my first cast I landed a five pounder. She said try again, that was a small one. On my second cast a wind came up and on the forward cast I felt a bang on the back of my head. As I woke up on the floor I realized I had been casting in my sleep and fell off the bed. This always happens to me just before things start getting interesting....
                  Hey, I had the very same dream but in mine she never got dressed!

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
                    Hey, I had the very same dream but in mine she never got dressed!

I've clearly won both the photo and story contests. You have my address.

Send the flies.
                    Last edited by Glen; 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM. Reason: sp
                    ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                      I've clearly won both the photo and story contests. You have my address.

Send the flies.
                      This contest is still young and I'm counting on the many liars - er, fishermen - among us to register their contributions to Adirondack fishing lore.

Comment

I'm thinking about giving up ice fishing. I find it way to difficult to cast my fly and land it in the hole I've just drilled. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
                          I'm thinking about giving up ice fishing. I find it way to difficult to cast my fly and land it in the hole I've just drilled. Anyone else have this problem?
                          I am not a fly fisherman but the last time I went ice fishing it took me all day to chop a hole big enough for the boat and then my buddy tells me he wants to try trolling.
                          The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Comment

Originally posted by adkmoose View Post
                            I am not a fly fisherman but the last time I went ice fishing it took me all day to chop a hole big enough for the boat and then my buddy tells me he wants to try trolling.
                            Did you remember to paint a big X in the bottom of your boat so you'd remember the spot for the next time?

Comment

C'mon, guys, post your pics and tell your stories around this virtual campfire. I'm going to set a deadline and a challenge:
                              • The deadline is 11:00PM Friday, the 6th
                              • We can't let Glen win either prize
                              So show your stuff!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X