Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum News and Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Book Reviews (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=17095)

HappyHiker 05-17-2012 09:03 AM

Book Reviews

Would it be considered bad form to post book reviews in the gear section?

The books would be outdoor related of course.

I have a few that I could post to get this new tradition started.

I am sure people have read lots of good ADK books that I would like to read.

PA Ridgerunner 05-17-2012 10:22 AM

I think ADK book reviews would be great! Not sure what category. I suppose guide books could fit into the Gear category...sort of.

Maybe "By the Fireside" would be a more appropriate category. What say the mods?

Joe 07-10-2012 06:56 PM

I also would like to see book reviews. I'm presently reading "Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" by Burnside, and I would like to discuss this and other relative topical books.

Buckshot 07-10-2012 08:27 PM

someone had review "fire season" on this forum. i bought the book and enjoyed it. i would recommend it to others looking for a good read.

PA Ridgerunner 07-11-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 188326)
I also would like to see book reviews. I'm presently reading "Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" by Burnside, and I would like to discuss this and other relative topical books.

Although a bit dated, I love that book. :thumbs: It was a wonderful reference for us when we began our 46er journey 5 years ago. I really enjoyed his historical references intermixed with the journal entries. Also, it was interesting to read the journal entries from early hikes with Jim, and later hikes of the same peaks with Ben...noting some of the changes such as the removal of garbage pits at the lean-tos, discontinued public access to the AMR bus, moving of some lean-tos, etc. I still pick up that book frequently.

Joe 07-11-2012 12:57 PM

Yes, I am enjoying this book especially for the reasons that you point out. I also like the storys behind the naming of the peaks and who the people were who many of the peaks are named after. I actually bought this book anticipating that it would be more of a guidebook for hiking the peaks by way of his stories, but I'm happy with what it is.

Gray Ghost 07-16-2012 10:55 PM

I had a lot of fun rereading chapters the night before I would do a particular peak. It is a fantastic read.

Huginn og Muninn 07-24-2012 05:50 PM

"Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks" was the first book I bought about the Adirondacks some 15 years ago. I purchased it with intentions of using it as a guidebook, but find that I enjoy the history and anecdotes more as PA Ridgerunner and Joe alluded to. Usually if I am intending to do one of the peaks, I will also read the section beforehand and make a brief outline on a piece of paper that I'm not worried about getting wet or losing. The book is more of a reference to me and too large physically to really use as a guidebook. I do find myself pulling it off the shelf fairly often just for enjoyment when I am thinking about a particular area or hike.

WinterWarlock 07-25-2012 01:23 AM

From the Moderator

Absolutely, provided it's on topic with the forum...and even then we can stretch that a bit (for example, strictly speaking, Colin Fletcher's book isn't about the Adirondacks, but is about hiking)

chairrock 08-09-2012 10:03 AM

Just finished Matthew J. Glavin's "Adirondack Treasure,The Bonaparte Legacy".

This is an historic novel based on factual tidbits. Glavin gets into some political environmental areas while leading us through a detective mystery involving the locals of Cranberry, Tupper and more. Some of the characters are based on "characters" from the Cranberry lake area.

A fast and easy read for a summer afternoon.

TCD 08-12-2012 11:47 AM

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley is having a book signing event this Thursday evening; many well known local authors will be there:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....Qk9WDojw%3D%3D

(And a bit of self promotion, if I might: my newly published little guidebook "Life Under the Fast Lane", which describes hiking access points under the Northway, is now available at the Mountaineer!)

Edb 46 er 08-21-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckshot (Post 188334)
someone had review "fire season" on this forum. i bought the book and enjoyed it. i would recommend it to others looking for a good read.

Buckshot

Could you give a brief description on fireseason?

Vermont Scott 08-27-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edb 46 er (Post 190457)
Buckshot

Could you give a brief description on fireseason?

I haven't read it yet but it looks good. You can read the reviews on amazon, the title is 'Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout'.