Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Lake trout fishing (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27713)

Mike_mak3032 06-30-2020 08:23 AM

Lake trout fishing

Hello all,

I am an avid trout and bass fisherman who is having trouble catching lake trout now that they have moved to the deeper colder water. I have a camp on Fourth Lake in Inlet so I spend most of my time on Fourth, Seventh and Raquette. Does anyone have any tips that could help?

Woodly 06-30-2020 09:01 AM

Troll real slow[less than 2mph], cold water [52 or less], big lures.
or anchor over deep cold water and bounce big silvery lures off bottom. They don't work, add some color.

bioguide 06-30-2020 09:26 PM

Catch a 6" or so perch, hook it up and weight it down then drop it down into the deep cold water and wait... I've caught a 1/2 dozen of them this way on the lake in the Adk's I grew up on including this one:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uS...-no?authuser=0

Buckladd 07-03-2020 08:36 PM

Do you have down riggers and a fish finder?

Mike_mak3032 07-04-2020 10:23 AM

I do not have down riggers no. I use my 14 foot sea nymph and typically use my fish finder to find water depth and troll spoons.

Buckladd 07-04-2020 02:52 PM

I feel your pain. Without downriggers we're only guessing at depth when trolling. I have a lead-core rig I use in my canoe and/or kayak. But I have better luck with lakers jigging or dragging bottom. Still, it's tough.

Lucky13 07-08-2020 07:10 AM

Have fished 4th for years. Many ADK lakes do not lend themselves to downriggers because they are full of drops and edges, and large boulders, and you can easily lose a weight. Most effective technique for me was pulling copper, until my Victrola motor quit, now we drag and sometimes pull lead core. Don't forget your glove if you decide to learn to pull copper or wire. But in 4th, why do you want the lakers anyway, they are DDT contaminated.

Woodly 07-08-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky13 (Post 282209)
Have fished 4th for years. Many ADK lakes do not lend themselves to downriggers because they are full of drops and edges, and large boulders, and you can easily lose a weight. Most effective technique for me was pulling copper, until my Victrola motor quit, now we drag and sometimes pull lead core. Don't forget your glove if you decide to learn to pull copper or wire. But in 4th, why do you want the lakers anyway, they are DDT contaminated.

For fun maybe, catch and release?

Lucky13 07-10-2020 02:57 PM

That's what we do and try some of the smaller lakes nearby if we want to try to catch supper. We have never been a threat to Screamin' Eagle's Pizza, though!

1bluefin 07-10-2020 07:36 PM

Lake trout

This is not a good time of year to fish for lake trout at least for catch and release . They will fill up with air in their blatter coming from the depths and will not be able to descend to the depths of their preferred temperature range . Even if you want to eat them you better hope they are of legal length. They will just float on top of the water when you release them. Some will poke them with a syringe to let the air out, Iím not an expert on that procedure.

Keithk 07-10-2020 11:28 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bluefin (Post 282243)
This is not a good time of year to fish for lake trout at least for catch and release . They will fill up with air in their blatter coming from the depths and will not be able to descend to the depths of their preferred temperature range . Even if you want to eat them you better hope they are of legal length. They will just float on top of the water when you release them. Some will poke them with a syringe to let the air out, Iím not an expert on that procedure.

Any cold water fish you pull up right now is as good as dead anyway, our water temps are near all time high right now.

Like you said, itís really not the time to be trout fishing.