Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   "By the Fireside" (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Derek Jeter (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12423)

Justin 09-12-2009 02:42 PM

Derek Jeter

Greatest Yankee ever! :clap:

PA Ridgerunner 09-12-2009 04:01 PM

You obviously never saw Horace Clark play! :rolling:

But seriously...and I love Jeter! Two words...

The Babe!

Holdstrong 09-12-2009 04:32 PM

O' Captain My Captain

WinterWarlock 09-12-2009 04:51 PM

Who is this Jeter, and what is a Yankee?

Dick 09-12-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterWarlock (Post 133090)
Who is this Jeter, and what is a Yankee?

That's tennis, isn't it? Three strikes and you're out? Or is that football? :)

lumberzac 09-12-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick (Post 133091)
That's tennis, isn't it? Three strikes and you're out? Or is that football? :)

I think that's bowling. :rolling:

starzero 09-12-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 133082)
Greatest Yankee ever! :clap:

Has Don Mattingly's star fallen a notch ?

Justin 09-12-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starzero (Post 133095)
Has Don Mattingly's star fallen a notch ?

Never!
Mattingly is still my favorite,
but Jeter is the greatest Yankee ever!

...next to Bernie! ;)

Judgeh 09-13-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 133102)
Never!
Mattingly is still my favorite,
but Jeter is the greatest Yankee ever!

...next to Bernie! ;)

As with many other teams, (including that one from Beantown) you could create a very formidable top nine list of "greatests" of the Yankees. Certainly Jeter has taken over #1 at shortstop. He is also captain and has played superbly over these 13 years. Is he the greatest Yankee that ever lived? You might have an argument from the Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle contigents.

As a Yankee fan I would say he is one of the greatest Yankees and one of several I've had the privilege of watching play firsthand.

PA Ridgerunner 09-13-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judgeh (Post 133113)
As with many other teams, (including that one from Beantown) you could create a very formidable top nine list of "greatests" of the Yankees.

OK, Judge. I'll bite. I have stuck with players who played all or most of their career as a Yankee.

Catcher - Yogi
1B - Gehrig
2B - Tie (Bobby Richardson, Willie Randolph)
3B - Clete Boyer (could be surpassed by A-rod, if he plays long enough as a Yankee)
SS - Jeter
LF - Dimaggio (he and Bernie Williams, both center fielders, top any left fielder I can recall the Yankees ever having)
CF - Mantle
RF - Ruth
LHP - Whitey Ford
RHP - Mel Stottlemyre (played on lousy teams most of his career); Catfish deserves consideration, but was not a longtime Yankee
Reliever - Rivera (would have selected Gossage if he had spent more time as a Yankee)

Judgeh 09-13-2009 12:19 PM

At risk of roaming off subject, I'll also bite. I've taken the opportunity to add some backups in the event of injury and to rub the noses of Sawks fans in it.

C: Berra (2.Dickey, 3.Munson, 4.Posada, 5.Howard)
1B: Gehrig (Mattingly, and Texiera?)
2B: Stirnweiss (2.J. Gordon, 3.Randolph, 4.Richardson, and Cano?)
SS: Jeter (Rizzuto)
3B: Nettles (soon to be A Rod 2.Boyer, 3.Dugan)
OF: DiMaggio, Mantle, Ruth (3.Williams, 4.Selkirk, 5.Jackson-too HUGE impact for short time)

LHP: Ford (2.Gomez, 3.Petite, 4.Guidry)
RHP: Red Ruffing (2.Reynolds, 3.Stottlemeyre-too bad might have beens don't count)

Relief-LHP: Rivera (Gossage-Fu Manchu was a psychological plus)
Relief-RHP: Lyle

Greatest closer of all time: Rivera

I've included some oldsters who's accomplishments are incredible but the fog of time has obscured. I've also tried to exclude personal favorites and others who just don't make it for one reason or another: Lazzari(OF), Maris(OF), O'Neill(OF), White(OF), Selkirk(OF), Raschi(RHP) etc. I also acknowledge the contribution of Wikpedia and Baseball-Reference.com in compiling this list. There was a time in my life when I probably could have done it from memory, but I getting too flipping old.

fingerlakeshiker 09-13-2009 04:03 PM

Idiots, everyone knows he plays Hockey!

Justin 09-25-2014 06:19 PM

Thread Bump

Farewell Captain!
Again, arguably the greatest Yankee ever!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5...o/DSCN1242.JPG

redhawk 09-25-2014 11:21 PM

Gehrig 340 Career batting average to 309 for Jeter.
493 Career Home runs to 260 for Jeter
1995 RBI's to 1307 for Jeter
On base percentage of 447 - 337 for Jeter
slugging percentage of 632 - to 440 for Jeter
6 World Series Championships to Jeters 5

Gehrig 2,130 consecutive games, AL Batting Champion, 1 Triple Crown, 3 Time AL Home Run Champion,

It's really tough to put Jeter over Gehrig, considering the fact that according to sportswriters, he is considerd the greatest player of all time and was know as "The Iron Horse" because of his durability.

mmaute 09-26-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawk (Post 222700)

Gehrig 2,130 consecutive games, AL Batting Champion, 1 Triple Crown, 3 Time AL Home Run Champion,

It's really tough to put Jeter over Gehrig, considering the fact that according to sportswriters, he is considerd the greatest player of all time and was know as "The Iron Horse" because of his durability.

I think of both Jeter and Gehrig as all time greats. However, IMHO it’s difficult to not put George Herman Ruth as the greatest player of all time. 12 home run titles with 714 career homers. His career batting average, OBP, and SLG percentages were .342, .474, and .690 respectively. He was also a HOF caliber pitcher….a career 2.28 ERA including 3-0 and .87 ERA World Series Record. A fun debate.

Justin 09-26-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawk (Post 222700)

All time Yankee leader in Games, At Bats, Hits, Doubles, Runs, and Stolen Bases is not too shabby. Not to mention 6th on the all time MLB Hits list.
What a way to end his career at home too, with a walk-off RBI single!

Thank you Derek Jeter!

redhawk 09-26-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 222708)
All time Yankee leader in Games, At Bats, Hits, Doubles, Runs, and Stolen Bases is not too shabby. Not to mention 6th on the all time MLB Hits list.
What a way to end his career at home too, with a walk-off RBI single!

Thank you Derek Jeter!

I'm not a baseball fan, never have been since Walter O'Malley moved the Dodgers from Brooklyn to LA. So I guess I'm objective when it comes to baseball.

It's almost impossible to classify a "best ever" anywhere in baseball. Different eras, different conditioning, change in the baseball itself, etc.

Jeter is a great player and more important a class act in an age where most highly paid professional atheletes ("superstars") have no class.

The reason I give Gehrig the nod over Ruth is because he worked hard to be in condition. Who knows what Ruth would have accomplished had he kept in shape and trained hard. Dimaggio and mantle were also great examples.

My choice of Gehrig is based on his humility as much as his performance.

Firenailer 09-26-2014 05:56 PM

Only 5 guys in the whole history of baseball ( think of how many that actually is) have more hits than Jeter who sits and number 6 all time.

Add that to "The Flip", "The Dive", The "Mr. November" home run, the 5 Titles, most hits by a Yankee, and then add the fact that the guy played hard, clean and scandal free for 20 years for ONE Team, and you gotta say he was pretty damn good!

The end of last nights game really was a storybook ending for a great Yankee.

timmedee 09-26-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firenailer (Post 222734)
Only 5 guys in the whole history of baseball ( think of how many that actually is) have more hits than Jeter who sits and number 6 all time.

Add that to "The Flip", "The Dive", The "Mr. November" home run, the 5 Titles, most hits by a Yankee, and then add the fact that the guy played hard, clean and scandal free for 20 years for ONE Team, and you gotta say he was pretty damn good!

The end of last nights game really was a storybook ending for a great Yankee.

I don't even follow baseball and have to agree. Felt compelled to watch last night's game.

yellowcanoe 09-26-2014 11:00 PM

Who?