Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Adirondack Loon Census (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11993)

Adk Keith 07-21-2009 09:00 AM

Adirondack Loon Census

Not sure if this belongs here or in wildlife section but...

Well last Saturday was Adirondack Loon Census day where hundreds of people go to designated ponds and watch and record information about loons they see between 8 and 9 am. I decided to go into "my" pond on Friday night after dinner so I could wake up there. So I set out a little after 6 pm from the trail head. It's a mile and a half hike and it's raining off and on lightly, but I have a canoe over my head so it's not that big a deal.

I get in about a mile and a quarter and I come to where the beaver have flooded the trail and I think, I have the technology to deal with this and almost instantly realize I left my paddle back in the car. So I drop my stuff, check my watch, 7:05, and start a trot/hike back to the car (thinking, I could just drive home and come in early in the morning and make this easy on myself) but I grab the paddle and start back. Did I mention the mosquitoes are really bad, like breathing them bad? A little less quick now on the way in, but I get back to my boat and pack at 8:00 and now it's raining steadily and I just successfully made my 1.5 mile hike into a 4 mile hike and it's starting to get dark. A few minutes later I get to the pond and madly paddle to where I'm camping for the night. Luckily instead of a tent I've brought my camping hammock so there is less worry about the perfect site. All I need is two trees the right distance apart. So I get the hammock set up and it's now pretty much dark and I decide to eat the second half of a sub I bought for supper before retiring. Did I mention it's raining and the bugs are bad? So here I am standing next to the pond in the dark, swatting mosquitoes, in the rain eating a mushed (from being in my pack) sub.

I finally climb into my hammock and get situated and over the sound of the rain hitting the rain fly I can hear mosquitoes. I turn on the light and there has to be 30 of them inside with me. So I spend the next 15 minutes in kill mode. I didn't sleep much and it rained pretty hard all night. At some point one of the sticks I had for a stake holding the rain fly out, let loose, allowing it to come in contact with the bug netting and the condensation started dripping inside so it's time to drag my naked butt back outside to fix that. Did I mention It was raining, dark, mosquitoes, wind, nakedness...... So I get that taken care of, get back inside, go into kill mode again for the newly arrived blood suckers and finally drift off to sleep as the sky starts to lighten. What a night. :)

So I observed an adult loon and it's 2 chicks for an hour and the weather cleared up and I came home. Happy ending.

How come no one ever wants to go camping with me?

chairrock 07-21-2009 09:39 AM

15 adults and 3 chicks on Cranberry Lake ,officially from the count, but I think more chicks.

billandjudy 07-21-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adk Keith (Post 129114)

Cus you have TOO much fun???:dance:

TBPDPTI 07-21-2009 11:28 AM

I have to say...nakedness, rain, voracious blackflies and mosquitoes, rain, mud, and...rain....sounds like the ADK's to me. I'm jealous :(

Kevin 07-21-2009 11:36 AM

Sounds like an average night in the woods Keith :). Thanks for taking count though, the loons are an important meter for how healthy things are in the waters.

looncry 07-21-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adk Keith (Post 129114)

Well last Saturday was Adirondack Loon Census day where hundreds of people go to designated ponds and watch and record information about loons they see between 8 and 9 am. I decided to go into "my" pond on Friday night after dinner so I could wake up there. So I set out a little after 6 pm from the trail head. It's a mile and a half hike and it's raining off and on lightly, but I have a canoe over my head so it's not that big a deal.

I get in about a mile and a quarter and I come to where the beaver have flooded the trail and I think, I have the technology to deal with this and almost instantly realize I left my paddle back in the car. So I drop my stuff, check my watch, 7:05, and start a trot/hike back to the car (thinking, I could just drive home and come in early in the morning and make this easy on myself) but I grab the paddle and start back. Did I mention the mosquitoes are really bad, like breathing them bad? A little less quick now on the way in, but I get back to my boat and pack at 8:00 and now it's raining steadily and I just successfully made my 1.5 mile hike into a 4 mile hike and it's starting to get dark. A few minutes later I get to the pond and madly paddle to where I'm camping for the night. Luckily instead of a tent I've brought my camping hammock so there is less worry about the perfect site. All I need is two trees the right distance apart. So I get the hammock set up and it's now pretty much dark and I decide to eat the second half of a sub I bought for supper before retiring. Did I mention it's raining and the bugs are bad? So here I am standing next to the pond in the dark, swatting mosquitoes, in the rain eating a mushed (from being in my pack) sub.

I finally climb into my hammock and get situated and over the sound of the rain hitting the rain fly I can hear mosquitoes. I turn on the light and there has to be 30 of them inside with me. So I spend the next 15 minutes in kill mode. I didn't sleep much and it rained pretty hard all night. At some point one of the sticks I had for a stake holding the rain fly out, let loose, allowing it to come in contact with the bug netting and the condensation started dripping inside so it's time to drag my naked butt back outside to fix that. Did I mention It was raining, dark, mosquitoes, wind, nakedness...... So I get that taken care of, get back inside, go into kill mode again for the newly arrived blood suckers and finally drift off to sleep as the sky starts to lighten. What a night. :)

So I observed an adult loon and it's 2 chicks for an hour and the weather cleared up and I came home. Happy ending.

I would like to do this ''census'' next year,ADK Keith.How do I enroll?! tnx Looncry

Adk Keith 07-22-2009 08:17 AM

Wonderful! the more the merrier.

All you need to know is Here.

spidennis 07-31-2009 11:41 AM

adk keith, what kind of hammock system were you in? I got an Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO) double hammock, Speer (winter) tarp (swt), and an eno guardian bug net and a custom suspension system. together it makes quite comfy living in the backcounty, especially when it's yucky out! On order I got a "blackbird" hammock ......
If you (or whoever) wants to learn more about serious hammock camping then this is the place!
http://hammockforums.net/
sorry for the hijack .......

Adk Keith 08-03-2009 10:35 AM

spdennis, I have a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Asym.

Good info on the Hammock Forum for sure. I've been a member since before I became a hanger.

Here's a pic of the loon census hang this year.

http://www.adkforum.com/photos/d/10254-1/P7181117.jpg

and another hammock friendly/tent unfriendly campsite.

http://www.adkforum.com/photos/d/8500-2/P9110903.JPG

Kevin 08-03-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adk Keith (Post 129879)
and another hammock friendly/tent unfriendly campsite.

http://www.adkforum.com/photos/d/8500-2/P9110903.JPG

You have a lot of faith in your knots. That's an ouchie landing if I've ever seen one. :rolling:

spidennis 08-04-2009 07:54 AM

Kevin, you can laugh but ......
once you're system of hanging is figured out there's almost no where you can't camp. Personally I don't use knots but a cinch buckle strap system that has very quick adjustments and caribiners for quick attachment of the straps. I can't even imagine trying to find space to set up even a solo bivy in where adk keith set up in the rain, let alone be comfortable trying to sleep there. I prefer more of a rectangular tarp to a diamond fly, where the diamond fly is very easy to setup, my speer swt being rectangular has much better rain protection. ....... and for this summer trying to stay out of the rain is pretty dang tough! I paddled from long lake to tupper lake yesterday, 12 hours , and saw almost all the campsites open, but with my hammock I'm not worried about finding a place, even on the crazy days of nice weather when everyone comes out of the wood work and the campsites fill up fast, I can hang camp where ever, and that's a nice bit of insurance come camping time! Once this hammock thing catches on I think there's gonna be a lot of happy campers!