Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum News and Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How about a little bit about yourself (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=3202)

Judgeh 11-03-2007 06:28 AM

The Appalachian Trail in Litchfield County and Sleeping Giant Park in Hamden are the most challenging Connecticut has to offer if you're in a mood to stretch the legs.

Otherwise, there's a legitimate reason why we're called "flatlanders".

fingerlakeshiker 11-03-2007 06:57 PM

I am a firefighter for 28 years. Have always liked to be outside, live in central N.Y. I am 54 and have just got back to backpacking this year. I climbed Marcy in 1978 and 1981 and have camped at eighth lake in 2001, sorry to say I have not been back since but hope to, when?Right now my dog and I dayhike and backpack in my area. The Fingerlakes National Forest has been my "home" turf for wandering as of late. Stumbled upon this forum just a couple of days ago.

Judgeh 11-04-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerlakeshiker (Post 80639)
I am a firefighter for 28 years. Have always liked to be outside, live in central N.Y. I am 54 and have just got back to backpacking this year. I climbed Marcy in 1978 and 1981 and have camped at eighth lake in 2001, sorry to say I have not been back since but hope to, when?Right now my dog and I dayhike and backpack in my area. The Fingerlakes National Forest has been my "home" turf for wandering as of late. Stumbled upon this forum just a couple of days ago.

Great to see one in our age category still in public service! Now it's time to start climbing the remaining 45.

Welcome aboard.

DuctTape 11-04-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerlakeshiker (Post 80639)

Welcome to the forum.

I stumbled upon the FLNF a few years back. I often wander around there myself.

Little Rickie 11-09-2007 03:18 PM

53 & 54 :thumbs:! Welcome to the neighborhood.

fingerlakeshiker 11-11-2007 10:21 PM

I plan on retiring in two years,undoubtably this will lead to more outdoor time

fingerlakeshiker 11-12-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuctTape (Post 80711)
Welcome to the forum.

I stumbled upon the FLNF a few years back. I often wander around there myself.

I have seen your name in the book at the trail shelter.

DuctTape 11-12-2007 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerlakeshiker (Post 81228)
I have seen your name in the book at the trail shelter.

Trail shelter journals are a fun read.

I haven't been the FLNF in winter, do you recommend it? I was worried most about road access.

fingerlakeshiker 11-13-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuctTape (Post 81234)
Trail shelter journals are a fun read.

I haven't been the FLNF in winter, do you recommend it? I was worried most about road access.

I hike in the FLNF throughout the winter. Burnthill road and mathews road are not plowed and become impassible when the snow is deep, but Potomac road and Pic Nic Area road which runs past Blueberry Patch Campground ( co. rt.2-I believe) are plowed. County rt. 1Searsburg road is also a good access point you can go south onto Potomac road from there.Winter is in fact one of my favorite times to go to FLNF.The gates to the camp are closed to cars in the winter, but the parking area is plowed. I winter camped last winter for the first time and stayed in the campground. I used a sled to haul in firewood and had the whole place to my self.

fingerlakeshiker 11-13-2007 07:09 AM

I am planning two trips to FLNF this week, wed. and fri..Gun season begins sat. so reluctantly me and my dog(with white fur) are staying away until Dec.10- after that I will be going all winter. I am hoping to do my first Dec. camping around 15-17, thinking about staying at the shelter, some trees were cut down there and a nice supply of firewood is available.

HeatherPiper 11-20-2007 09:44 PM

I'm a 39 year-old mom of two EXTREMELY energetic children. I own a costume/clothing designing business. Most of the stuff I make is from the Elizabethan era, and my most recent adventure has been to design patterns for Simplicity. I went to school at SUNY Oswego for theatre (scenic and costume design), and grew up in the Pulaski area.

I've loved the outdoors since I was a kid, and spent summers canoeing on Sandy Pond just off Lake Ontario, at my grandparent's camp. Boy, I miss those days. I've only climbed one mountain in my life and it was a serious workout. I'm hoping to get back in shape over the winter and tackle my first peak in the spring/summer of next year.

In my spare time, I enjoy drawing, painting, photography, blogging and easy hiking. Hubby got me involved in kayaking, but I'm not a big fan of whitewater. Give me a slow, easy creek and a canoe, and I'm MUCH happier.

I'd like to work on rock climbing, but I'm pretty inexperienced. I have the gear, but haven't yet made the time to work on it. There's a great climbing gym in Rochester - maybe someday I'll get over there again and get some practice in.

flashpipe 11-28-2007 12:41 PM

Just a little...

That's my wife! Thought I'd jump on here and introduce myself. She's been talking about what a great group this is since she joined, and she's getting very excited about climbing some peaks!! As am I.

I'm 37 and have been pretty inactive for the past 3 years (strange how that times out with the birth of our first child). I'm a computer guy (eLearning developer), so my job is pretty sedentary, but, our kids are getting old enough so that we can start taking them with us on outings, camping trips, hikes, etc.

I've been an avid rock climber, skydiver, snowboarder and whitewater kayaker since 1992 (up until 2004) and am looking forward to getting involved again. Seems like there's a great community in our area, and TONS of great places to explore.

I spent 2 years (1993 & 1994) working as a raft guide on the Arkansas River in Colorado and climbed a few 14ers while I was out there (Mt. Antero & Shavano), but haven't climbed any peaks in NY. I've been rock climbing at several places in the area, including Utica, Keene Valley, the Escarpment and the Gunks and can't wait to get our kids on the rocks and up some peaks.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading several threads so far and have seen some spectacular pictures. Can't wait to get back out there!!

Blue skies!!

WinterWarlock 11-28-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashpipe (Post 82530)
That's my wife! Thought I'd jump on here and introduce myself. She's been talking about what a great group this is since she joined, and she's getting very excited about climbing some peaks!! As am I.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading several threads so far and have seen some spectacular pictures. Can't wait to get back out there!!

Blue skies!!

Hope to see you out there - we've got a few of us who've been trying to meet Saturday mornings in the various local Rochester hikes - let us know if you'd like to join us...

WinterWarlock

(Blue skies?? I'm waiting for the snow!)

Little Rickie 11-28-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

I'm 37 and have been pretty inactive for the past 3 years (strange how that times out with the birth of our first child). I'm a computer guy (eLearning developer), so my job is pretty sedentary, but, our kids are getting old enough so that we can start taking them with us on outings, camping trips, hikes, etc.

I've been an avid rock climber, skydiver, snowboarder and whitewater kayaker since 1992 (up until 2004) and am looking forward to getting involved again. Seems like there's a great community in our area, and TONS of great places to explore.

I spent 2 years (1993 & 1994) working as a raft guide on the Arkansas River in Colorado and climbed a few 14ers while I was out there (Mt. Antero & Shavano), but haven't climbed any peaks in NY. I've been rock climbing at several places in the area, including Utica, Keene Valley, the Escarpment and the Gunks and can't wait to get our kids on the rocks and up some peaks.

Blue skies!!

You're going to have to get a babysitter or take turns watching the kids so you can guys can get out more.

HeatherPiper 11-28-2007 09:34 PM

Quote:

Heyyyyyy, don't I know you?? ;)

spiralsands 12-17-2007 03:24 PM

Hello, I've been on this forum for a while but I've been so busy with planning my eventual move to Fulton County that I haven't been on board for a time. I'm a 52 years young woman who works in Aviation Technology and my first exposure to the Adirondack Region was in 1977 when the Air Force sent me to Griffiss AFB in Rome. I learned to ski there, tobagan, went hiking, swam in streams, drank water that came right out of the ground, saw the leaves change into colors divine, went jogging in the snow at night. I had just come back to the states from Okinawa, spent some time with my mother on Long Island and then drove my old VW bug up north of the city to my new assignment. All these years later, I've lived in Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma and Florida and I decided to buy land in New York and live there forever. I bought a 23 1/2 acre chunk of pretty land in Fulton County (see the tiny piece in my avatar?) and am aiming to build a cabin there if I have to drag and peel my own logs to do it. Don't put it past me...I got lots of tools and 2 chainsaws! I also have ice and a big bottle of Aleve. I'm going to Seattle in January to take that log home building class in Monroe. Anybody been to that yet? Once my daughter graduates college next winter, I'll be looking to transfer to Albany International Airport with my job and get going on this cabin. Everyday I dream of those rolling hills....

Little Rickie 12-17-2007 04:09 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Fulton county sounds nice. I've thought about property around there but in may have to wait until the kids are out of college.

Are you atheist? Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;) :D

Praying the bear is a Buddhist was good. :thumbs:

DRIFTER 12-17-2007 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=spiralsands;84078]piece in my avatar?) and am aiming to build a cabin there if I have to drag and peel my own logs to do it.
Not to talk you out of it ,BUT, I've been working on this for 15 years and expect to finish in another 15. It had a full porch on the front,[right side not shown], but the tornado of 98 uprooted two huge trees and dropped them on it, its on my re-do list! They do sell a manufactured log home and I would have laughed at the idea 10 years ago, but now?????

spiralsands 12-17-2007 09:20 PM

To Little Rickie: I never thought I'd be writing to you of all people! My daughter is such a big Lucy fan! I can't really answer your question about atheism the cut and dry way you may expect. I don't believe in fairy tales and I can't put my spiritual faith in a religion invented by government to maintain political power. History is the truth, not fable. I cringe at the sight of a crucifix because I cannot emotionally separate it from the instrument of torture it is. Like Bob Dylan said, "I couldn't get used to eating that flesh and drinking that blood". However, I am intrigued by the Buddhist notion that consciousness cannot be destroyed because it is an inherent part of nature. I really really like that idea. But our spirituality can be very complex or very simple. I like simple.

To Adk Drifter: As far as cabin building, I was thinking more of a whole log cabin built in the butt and pass style. A one story wonder that follows the line of my front pasture. I could always hire someone to do it for me but then I'd have another mortgage on my land wouldn't I...I am really really sick of having a bank own my home. I own my little lot outright and that to me feels like sanctuary.

Your beautiful barn style home is really very nice. Good work! You should be very proud of it. I bet it's really cozy inside. My sister in Sanford, FL has an A-Frame that looks like it has the same kind of log shape. She has a very rustic stone fireplace too but the whole shebang looks totally out of place in her industrial suburb near the end of the runway next to the airport. Too bad!!

DRIFTER 12-21-2007 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=spiralsands;84094]
To Adk Drifter: As far as cabin building, I was thinking more of a whole log cabin built in the butt and pass style. A one story wonder that follows the line of my front pasture.

Thinking about it, go for your dream! Make sure you start with a good foundation and you can't go too far wrong!!.....H.