Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum News and Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How about a little bit about yourself (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=3202)

Dick 05-14-2006 07:19 AM

Welcome to the forum! That's quite a menagerie you've got there!

Judgeh 05-14-2006 07:38 AM

Dick loves to repeat himself. Drives his students bonkers. :D

hikeswithcatahoulas 05-14-2006 08:52 AM

;)

Kevin 05-14-2006 11:43 AM

Ruby is awesome :). We saw the same bird at the rennselaer bird shop yesterday. We recently rescued a Quaker parrot...

http://www.quakerparrots.com/forum/i...howtopic=12066

fvrwld 05-14-2006 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Aubrey! You have a beautiful family!

After watching the movie of Ruby we just made a big step with or new Quaker parrot, Kiwi. After seeing Ruby nip your finger we realized that it doesn't mean"Get Away". We actually just had her out of the cage for the first time.(just adopted her Friday). Thank you! :)

Kiwi...

hikeswithcatahoulas 05-14-2006 02:24 PM

wow!

That's great! yeah she NEVER bites. She will hold on and also take your finger or hand and pull it toward her (if she wants to get up on you) or push it away (if she'd rather stay where she is) or if she's in a weird mood she will actually hold your finger and sway back and forth (not sure what this means yet)

Parrots are amazing, I never realized they could have such personalities, when I get home from work at night she will fly off her cage and RUN into my room to say hi to me. If i'm in the kitchen she will waddle into the room and stand on my foot as I cook and walk around the kitchen. She loves going out around the town and to the park. I actually would take her camping if it wasn't for how cold it gets at night.

Hope you and your quaker parrot make more progress now!

SteveVindler 05-18-2006 11:47 PM

Hello Ladies And Gents

My name is Steve,
I just finished my second year of my college life, I'm studying Automotive Management Technologies. A 4 year program.
So obviously I enjoy spending time with my cars

I also just started to get into Geocaching, If you don't know what it is check it out at geocaching.com. Kinda fun!

I Was introduced to keen valley and the high peaks region last summer. I also started fly fishing last summer. I've only really hiked a few mountains.

Owls head
Noonmark
Mt. Kineo (Maine)

I want more and i belive i'm addicted. I want to spend as much time in the mountains this summer that i can. i'm not working so hopefully I can be away from home alot.
I'm hoping to make some friends here and learn all that i need to know to enjoy myself in the adirondack region

Rookie 05-19-2006 11:56 AM

Howdy Steve,

Welcome !
I don't know...calling some us "gents" might be a stretch....

Automotive Management Tech.?---at SUNY-Alfred by any chance ?--I'm class of 76---
(old enough to fart dust you might say! )

I have a friend who is into geocaching and you can't shut him up about it...so it must be kinda neat.

I hope you enjoy the journey--it's a great addiction.

SteveVindler 05-19-2006 12:31 PM

Nah. i'm actually going to Pensylvania College Of Technology located in Williamsport PA the home of the little league baseball world series!
haha
Thanx for the welcome

Little Rickie 05-19-2006 12:43 PM

Welcome !
I don't know...calling some us "gents" might be a stretch.... :thumbs:

(old enough to fart dust you might say! ) :eek:

what did you eat!

carefull Kevin is watching

Bartleby 05-20-2006 12:09 AM

Hello.

I may be an odd duck here, but I was so happy to find this site that I had to join up.

I was born, raised, went to high school and college, and now and forever, most likely, will live on and love a hunk of rock called Manhattan. I am a deeply-dyed City kid. Of my 40+ years, I spent six in the wilderness of Chicago and Washington, D.C., and all the rest of it here.

Except, that is, for 8 glorious summers as kid in camp in the Central Adirondacks. In those years, I climbed Marcy (twice), bushwhacked Gray, climbed Redfield and Vanderwacker, paddled Long Lake, and rafted rivers, but which ones I can no longer remember.

When my then-fiance agreed to try to make a go of it together in New York several years ago, one of her conditions was that we spend a week or two each year some place where we could spend a lot of time outdoors. She said it could be the beach, but, as Woody Allen said, "I don't tan, I stroke." She said, "OK, then you decide." I had not been back to Adirondacks in more than 2 decades, but I said, "I know the place."

Over the course of several summers, we rented houses for a week or two on Brant, Loon, Raquette, and Long Lakes. Last year we bought a little place on a sweet spot near Tupper. The Adirondacks is now a part of my life again, and will be part of my family's life, and I could not be happier about that. It's a long-haul for us, but we get up there quite a bit.

I have been a novice fisherman for about 5 years, because I just don't get enough time on the water, but I love it. No fly fishing yet; think I'll save it for retirement. Have mostly targeted lmb and smb. Would like to try for Walleye on Tupper. Not too interested in hunting, but no grudges against hunters who stay legal and safe and away from my place, where my kid is running around.

Anyway, glad to be on the site.

Judgeh 05-20-2006 05:38 AM

Welcome to THE Forum, Bartleby.

Forgive my curiosity but what were you doing in D.C.? Spent nearly seven years there myself in the long ago.

Msample 05-24-2006 10:57 AM

I first started paddling in the ADKS about 25 years ago as a young teenager on an trip from a CT outfitter . It grew to a lifetime enjoyment of canoeing . I still try to get to the ADKS at least once a year . Have paddled extensively in the St. Regis Canoe area, Saranacs, Bog River Flow/Lows Lake , and Osewegatchie . I paddle almost exclusively solo . In the winter I visit friends in the area and do some winter hiking and ice climbing .

BugInARug 05-30-2006 11:29 AM

These are great. I love what an eclectic group of people hiking attracts. (Um, is anyone still reading these though? Or am I too late to join in the fray?).

Well, in any case, here it is, for the few stragglers who are still interested:

I'm a 27-year-old outdoor enthusiast. Grew up all over the darn place (Virigina, D.C. area, Southern Cali, Netherlands, now--cringe--New Jersey). My parents dragged my sister and me everywhere to go hiking, which we complained about often and loudly. We went to Sequoia every spring, with other trips naturally including Mammoth and Yosemite. On top of that, we went on countless trips to where ever there was a mountain or hill to climb.

In real life, I'm a television producer in NYC, which is of course why I need to get away all the time. The 'rentals no longer hike--they "walk"--so I go out on my own a lot or with my boyfriend. So far, we've done the Lake Placid area (three years in a row with him and a fourth time with other friends), plus a winter hike in the Catskills (I vote for the Adirondacks, btw--is it the trees? I don't know, I just like 'em better!). So, the bf decided a few weeks ago he wants to try Vermont, so that leaves me to plan the trip, of course. Should be fun!

Thank goodness I found you guys! What a great site!

Kevin 05-30-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugInARug
(Um, is anyone still reading these though? Or am I too late to join in the fray?).

Was that a test? :D

Welcome aboard! :)

Dick 05-30-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugInARug
I'm a 27-year-old outdoor enthusiast. Grew up all over the darn place (Virigina, D.C. area, Southern Cali, Netherlands, now--cringe--New Jersey).

Hey, I was born and raised in New Jersey, and I'll have you know that there are many great places to enjoy the outdoors. Why, there's Secaucus, Elizabeth, Newark, Hoboken,...seriously, welcome to the forum! :)

Dick

BotchedSurgery 05-30-2006 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all- I broke the cardinal rule and posted in a few other forums before properly introducing myself. Forgive the omission, and here goes.

I'm a 23 year old who lives in the Rochester area. Although I've been hiking around the Northeast (and a few trips out to the left coast) since I was a babe I had never been to the Adirondacks until 3 or 4 years ago. Needless to say I was enchanted :). I've been back a few times a year since then, but, as I'm sure is common around here, not as often as I would like.

I just moved back to the area from NYC, so would definitely be interested in meeting people to do hikes around Rochester (Letchworth? Iroquois Wildlife Refuge?). Other interests include books, languages, and veggie stuff, but not in a self-righteous, exclusionary way. Just looking to meet some people who like the hike. -Mike

P.S. Here's a picture of Puffer Pond from this weekend

hikercop45 06-01-2006 02:11 PM

borrow a canoe and paddle the raritan river - near you - did that one as a youth with some cousins - a nice way to kill a day - no phones - beepers or radios to annoy you - take a bottle of wine and enjoy the day
Welcome aboard

Hobbitling 06-01-2006 04:47 PM

I'm 26, married (2 years), and I am a grad student in Albany. I grew up in Vermont and have hiked for as long as I can remember, although I have become much more active since I got out of college. I studied biology in college with a good amount of ecology, and now I do infectious disease research. That means I am in a lab all day staring into a microscope, or waiting for experiments to run, It also means that by the weekend I am a bit cabin feverish and need to get out into the wild. my nickname refers to my small size and curly hair. I look like I'm about 15.
For day hikes I mostly I do the mountains outside of the high peaks area, where there are fewer crowds Hadley, St Regis, Huckleberry, Crane, Arab etc.... And I often do bushwhacks, where there are no crowds. For camping I prefer the more remote areas, siamese ponds, grass river, five ponds wilderness. I prefer camping of the leave no trace variety, but I occasionally will use a leanto. I dont mind hiking with others, but I frequently hike solo. My wife likes hiking, but not quite as much as I do, but she is very supportive of my frequent need to get out of the city. I have only hiked in the high peaks once, last summer I did Marcy.

Rookie 06-02-2006 12:13 PM

Welcome fellow traveler,

Isn't it great to have an understanding wife ?