Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Environmental Issues (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Whitney Property for sale (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27744)

Hiker801 07-30-2020 11:17 AM

Whitney Property for sale

Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...million-141618

Huezee 07-30-2020 12:19 PM

Paging Jack Ma...

TCD 07-30-2020 05:34 PM

I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.

montcalm 07-30-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 282447)
I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.

You really need to leave this state.

montcalm 07-30-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker801 (Post 282442)
Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...million-141618

Looks like her (much junior) husband didn't love it as much as she did :boozing:

OntarioSkiBum 07-30-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 282447)

I'm not a New Yorker, but spread out across all the private and corporate tax payers it doesn't seem like it would cost one individual a lot for a lot of opened up recreational possibilities. If I lived in NY, I'd say buy it for sure!

TCD 07-30-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montcalm (Post 282450)
You really need to leave this state.

Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.

montcalm 07-30-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 282455)
Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.

I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.

Woodly 07-30-2020 09:04 PM

I'd like one of the guide boats please.

montcalm 07-30-2020 09:09 PM

PS If the state DID buy - I'd be happy if Jack Ma came and used it as the rest of us plebeians would.

Buckladd 07-30-2020 09:40 PM

$3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.

TCD 07-30-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montcalm (Post 282457)
I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.

Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.

TrailBlaser 07-30-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 282455)

I hope you find peace in Florida and enjoy yourself there. Best of luck.

Tug Hill 07-31-2020 08:03 AM

The state is broke but it has not stopped it from reckless spending. Recent press releases in my area shows the DEC purchased a $16,400 ROW across 2800’ of private land. What the press release didn’t tell the readers, is, the reason for purchasing this ROW is to build a million dollar (?) Bridge for the snowmobilers. Just wait and see, all this bridge access is going to do is open this easement land up to illegal ATV traffic.

NYS has not proven they are able to properly manage the land and easements they already have. They should do that before purchasing more property.

montcalm 07-31-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckladd (Post 282461)
$3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.

This sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. I have zero interest in the buildings. If the cabin has real historic or educational value it should be packed up and moved to the museum.

stripperguy 07-31-2020 08:27 AM

Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.

adkman12986 07-31-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 282462)
Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.

I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it

montcalm 07-31-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 282466)
Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.

Lol. Didn't they want to put a hotel and cabins on the lake before the state bought it?

This Hendrickson guy is a complete slimebag. He has no vested interest in anything to do with that land except to make money off it.

montcalm 07-31-2020 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkman12986 (Post 282467)
I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it

Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.

ILikeRocks 07-31-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montcalm (Post 282482)
Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.

I think that’s pretty well said. I know it’s easy to complain about the DEC but I think they do a pretty darn good job considering the diverse nature of the Adirondacks. What other states do a better job of managing their wilderness areas in people’s opinion? And how do they do better than our state?