Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Wolf Pond, VWMWF, 23 Mar, 2021 (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=28016)

Tick Magnet 03-23-2021 06:42 PM

Wolf Pond, VWMWF, 23 Mar, 2021

10 Attachment(s)
Today found Tredhed and I back in the Vanderwhacker Mt. Wild Forest. Our "Lunch at a Lean to" menu brought us to Wolf Pond and an early start got us to the Boreas Rd. trailhead at 9:30.

Attachment 19927

Inspecting the trail, we decided to slip on the micro spikes and sign into the woods.

Attachment 19928

Spikes were a good choice as the spruce/balsam forest shaded the trail and kept the conditions firm.

Attachment 19929
Attachment 19938

About halfway to the pond, we passed some neat ice falls alongside the trail.

Attachment 19937

After an hour of walking, we approached the lean-to.

Attachment 19932

It was well sited in the deep forest away from a swampy bay of the pond and had a nice filtered view of the water.

Attachment 19933

After settling down, we took a walk out into the marsh to check out the scenery. The views of Wolf Pond Mt. were stunning on this blue bird day.

Attachment 19934

Venturing a little farther out, we caught a nice look at Mt. Marcy and her slightly smaller friends.

Attachment 19935
Attachment 19936

After gawking at the scenery for a while, we headed back to the lean-to for some hot soup. Just as we were finishing up, we met two women from Schroon Lake who were doing the same thing we were. Great minds think alike :)

Too soon, it was time to head back down the hill and get home. What a spectacular way to spend a picture perfect day in the mountains.

stripperguy 03-23-2021 09:14 PM

Tick,
Thanks for posting, and for the beautiful photos...
I haven't been to Wolf since 2012 (I think), before there was a trail and lean to.
My buddy and I tried to squeak in a late season paddle up Wolf Pond Brook the day after Thanksgiving.
The brook was fine, the pond, not so much.
TR from back then...

montcalm 03-24-2021 09:52 AM

That's a great looking lean-to and an even better view...

That's sure to be a popular destination.

DSettahr 03-24-2021 11:30 AM

Wolf Pond is nice. The lean-to has been there for a while now (since before 2017) but the trail in particular was only declared "complete" and marked a few years ago. My first visit to Wolf Pond was in 2017, and there was still some visible work necessary to be done on the trail then.

If you cross the outlet (can be tricky during high water) and walk along the south shore to the east, you can get even better views of the upper Great Range.

In the long term, there's some planned changes to the area. A second lean-to is planned for somewhere on the north side of the pond. And there's plans to build a trail connection between Wolf Pond and the Fly Pond parking lot on Boreas Ponds road.

Another trail is planned along the Boreas River from the same trailhead as Wolf Pond, and will connect to LaBier Flow.

montcalm 03-24-2021 11:49 AM

I'd probably carry a boat out there. 2.4 miles is a long carry, but with a solo or pack canoe and a day pack, I'd go for it. Probably the best views on the pond that way.

stripperguy 03-24-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montcalm (Post 285169)
I'd probably carry a boat out there. 2.4 miles is a long carry, but with a solo or pack canoe and a day pack, I'd go for it. Probably the best views on the pond that way.

Did you view my linked TR? The paddle up the Brook is a fun little trip, informal paths around rapids on the south side of the Brook.
I also have other TRís for Wolf Pond with full pics and descriptions
Itís definitely worth a day trip, and with the lean to and trails, maybe more than just that.

montcalm 03-24-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 285170)
Did you view my linked TR? The paddle up the Brook is a fun little trip, informal paths around rapids on the south side of the Brook.
I also have other TRís for Wolf Pond with full pics and descriptions
Itís definitely worth a day trip, and with the lean to and trails, maybe more than just that.

Sorry... missed it, but I did now, thanks! I'd like to get out on the pond tho when I go :D

So much good recreation in this general area that has opened up in the past 5 years and I'm way behind on it :gripe:

Justin 03-26-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 285166)
Another trail is planned along the Boreas River from the same trailhead as Wolf Pond, and will connect to LaBier Flow.

Cool! Iíve been wanting to try this bushwhack since my first trip to Boreas Ponds back in May of Ď16. I guess I better get on that before it becomes a marked trail. ;)

DuctTape 03-27-2021 05:26 AM

A bunch of riff-raff at Wolf...
https://youtu.be/TFvoKNiO3N8

montcalm 03-27-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuctTape (Post 285207)
A bunch of riff-raff at Wolf...
https://youtu.be/TFvoKNiO3N8

Ha - I miss these videos.

When are you starting back up, Justin?

DSettahr 03-30-2021 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 285205)
Cool! I’ve been wanting to try this bushwhack since my first trip to Boreas Ponds back in May of ‘16. I guess I better get on that before it becomes a marked trail. ;)

I mean... at the rate that the state moves on these things, I think it is probably safe to assume that you have the better part of a decade (at least) before those plans become reality. :)

I've poked around on both sides of the river as far up as the site of the Brace Dam. There is an old road on the west side (you can see it shown on the USGS map) but the first tenth of a mile or so is on private property so the only way to access it is to bushwhack up the east side of the river and ford the river. There's also some patches of gnarly blowdown in the vicinity that can slow you up some, but once you make past the blowdown it's pretty easy walking on the old road up to the dam site.

The east side of the river you can find evidence of what appears to have once been a fairly well-established fisherman's herd path but it's pretty much gone now.

The Adirondack Museum has a few photos of what the Brace Dam area looked like, which are neat to compare to the present day views at that same spot. It doesn't look even a little bit the same:

https://adirondack.pastperfectonline...3-542787640490

https://adirondack.pastperfectonline...4-828986731628

I've also poked around a bit along Andrew Brook, north of Wolf Pond. There was a main branch logging road that accessed that area from Blue Ridge Road via the Boreas property- you can still park at the Andrew Brook Road Parking Area on Blue Ridge Road and hike in that way. The old road gets pretty brushy in spots and honestly the forest in the vicinity was pretty well cut over and there's a lot of young growth and the bushwhacking in that area isn't the best. I did hike through from Andrew Brook Road to Wolf Pond last summer and it was an OK bushwhack, noting particularly exciting- just lots of dense, young forest.

Interestingly, no road connection was ever constructed between Andrew Brook Road and Gulf Brook Road, even though portions of the spur roads from both roads pass within maybe 1,000-2,000 feet of each other in a few spots.

At some point, I'd also like to hike the Cheney Pond-Irishtown Snowmobile Trail all the way through. I've hiked this from Blue Ridge Road as far as the Lester Flow dam site, and even crossed the river here and poked around a bit before returning, but have yet to explore any further south (apart from some higher elevation ramblings in the Hoffman Notch Wilderness in the vicinity of Marion Pond).

It would be neat if a longer backpacking loop could be constructed combining all of these areas- plus the Ragged Mountain/Branch River area to the east and Hoffman Notch itself.

Justin 03-30-2021 08:50 AM

Good to know, Thanks D. :thumbs:

DuctTape 03-30-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 285233)

It would be neat if a longer backpacking loop could be constructed combining all of these areas- plus the Ragged Mountain/Branch River area to the east and Hoffman Notch itself.

I make this general comment to the DEC in each of the open comment periods for changes in UMPs etc... Connecting trail systems in different management areas too.