Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Paddling in the Adirondacks (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Finally! (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11841)

70sHiker 06-30-2009 06:14 AM

Finally!

As a follow up to my post last year, I didn't make it up to Mountain last September like I wanted nor to the Paddlefest this past May, but my wife and I just got home from spending a long weekend in the Adirondacks. Did I tell you I love my wife? This trip was basically a fact finding trip for future visits for tripping and camping. We had a great time in the Old Forge area. Oh, I didn't buy a OT Camper or Penobscot like I questioned here about. But I did buy a Wenonah Vagabond.....and a trailex canoe trailer :clap:

I tested it out on the Moose River behind the shop and it was wonderful to paddle. I also helped the economy with a car load of paddle stuff and motels and oh my gosh, Frankies!! What a fine meal we had there, and my first Saranac Lager. Just had to buy and "trail mix" box and try more flavors.

I just wanted to post a report from my first post here. I can now feel more at home here and include myself in discussions. My wife will still paddle her kayak, I love her, and I can use either one of my kayaks or the Vagabond. It has more room for camping gear and easier to portage. We will probably be back up in August for another long weekend camping/tripping in the Old Forge area.

Sorry for the enthusiasm, wait, no I’m not, I just bought a canoe! I had to tell someone!!

70sHiker

stripperguy 06-30-2009 08:01 AM

Mr. Hiker,
Which layup did you get? Carbon? Kevlar? Royalex?
Looks like a fun boat. BTW, I am also still crazy in love with my wife...our 32nd anniversary was last Friday.

70sHiker 06-30-2009 08:27 AM

Royalex, my main water is the Susquehanna River. It's still going to take a beating, but I will use more caution than with the kayaks, at least that is my intention.

70sHiker

Awetcanoe 07-02-2009 12:29 PM

With the Royalex hull you ought to be able to play where you want to within the limits of how much water will come over the sides. You should have fun with it.

Grandpa Paddler 07-09-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripperguy (Post 127801)
...I am also still crazy in love with my wife...our 32nd anniversary was last Friday.

Will be 41 years in Sept. and she still lets me go with the guys on camping/canoe trips. Doesn't complain (too much) when I splurge and spend pension $$$ on gear and equipment and other stuff. Gotta love a woman like that:dance: :dance: :dance: !!!

dpc34 07-09-2009 04:37 PM

We just had our 37th, 4 kayaks (2 OT and 2 Eddylines) and 2 hornbecks,plus we still have our hiking shoes. We still have fun being old farts.....dave There are no toys more important than outdoor gear(quote from my better half)

bbowen 07-09-2009 04:57 PM

Congrats! I just bought a 2007 Vagabond Ultralight in June from Mountainman. It was a blem (although I don't see where).

Mine didn't come with the footbrace so that's on order. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my dog will be able to join me in it. I find it too unstable. He's 112lbs, large, and excitable.

Although, I'm thinking of making some stabilizers if I can find some good plans.

Graybeard 07-09-2009 09:50 PM

43rd comin' up in a week. We oughta' plan an old farts fest.

70sHiker 07-11-2009 07:53 AM

Paddled it a couple of times now. I like it, but my wife loves it! We are planning on returning to the Dacks in late August/early September for a weekend of paddling/smallmouth fishing and tent camping at one of the lakes from the car until we learn the area more on the wheres and whats of primative campsites in the Dacks.

Oh, and congrats to all of you for your years of dedication to the "other half". In my case I think I am only like a third.

"old farts" thanks Graybeard :rolling:

70sHiker