Adirondack Forum

Adirondack Forum (http://www.adkforum.com/index.php)
-   Forum News and Discussion (http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How about a little bit about yourself (http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=3202)

JClimbs 07-06-2005 11:05 PM

I've loved the woods since I could walk in them, and moved to the SE Adks to raise my own children in a similar environment (my childhood woods have fallen on suburban times).
I made a huge career move a dozen years ago and became a guide; leading whitewater rafting, rock climbing, caving, canoeing, and fishing trips in the south and central Adirondacks. The hugest part of that change was of course, to my income! But it has been a good ride for the most part.
I don't get out as much as I would like to (and believe it or not, less now than before I became a guide!), but still get out more than most.
I am still (always!) looking for that next great backcountry crag, so if you have a lead, let me know!

nature shot 07-07-2005 01:56 PM

hi

My name is Ed (barkeater) I'm a nature photographer and live full time in North River. I hunt,fish,camp but mostly take photos. I own and operate South Mountain Photos, started in 2002 when I took a fall of a scaffold and got beat up pretty good. I'm married with 5 grown kids and 4 (soon to be 5) grandkids. I'm mid fifties most days others mid seventies. I'll post some pics asap.

Tetkahere Sotahr

alancross 07-11-2005 12:26 AM

In a nutshell

I'm a Texan living in New York City. I work as a comedy writer and a voiceover actor for radio and TV commercials.

And in between, I like to fish as much as possible.

Lately I've been hitting a lot of small streams an hour or two away from the city. I've been camping a handful of times in the Adirondacks, and now that I've finally purchased a new backpack (instead of renting one), I'm ready to go as many times as I can this year.

I go for the solitude, and only in hiking and fishing does my A.D.D. mind ever seem to calm down.

tracker 07-18-2005 10:50 PM

I'm a 42 yr young geological engineer who is employed by an environmental consulting firm where I remediate hazardous waste sites and other polluted properties. Like Mike, I was laid off a number of years back but have since been gamefully employed and conducting these types of investigations for close to 20 years. In addition to this, I'm a ski instructor at a local area, assistant soccer coach, and a webelos leader for my younger son's cubscout den. Needless to say, this keeps me quite busy, although I still find time to run on a daily basis.

I have been hiking and camping since I was old enough to walk and backpacking for the last 30 years. I have hiked in almost every state except Hawaii. My backpacking travels have included such destinations as Colorado(where I lived for ~6 yrs), California, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. My first trip to the ADK was a snowy thanksgiving weekend at Avalanche Lake in 1996. My next trip was in June 1999 when I rambled through the blowdown between Dix and Elk Lake before the trail had been cleared. I've returned every year since 1-3 times each summer, lured by the wildness of the high peaks.

I have 2 sons, ages 10 and 12, who have been backpacking since the age of 4. They have backpacked in the ADK the past 3 years climbing peaks including Hurricane Mt, Big Slide, Yard Mt, and Dix. Each year I take each boy individually and then on a trip together. The individual trips let us tailor an adventure to their particular interest and ability. This year my older son wants to try the lower range including Gothics, Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw. I'm still thinking of what would challenge the younger one. If you have suggestions let me know!

Becca 07-31-2005 09:14 AM

So Glad I've found you all!!!

:dance: Hi, I'm 41 and I've lived within 30 miles or closer to the Adirondack park all my life. At present it's right out my back door. The Otter Creek Horse trail system is right down the rode from me, to give you somewhat of a location.

I've got three children, the youngest being 17. My husband and I used to take them on simple hiking trips when they were around the 10-12 yrs age. Mostly this would consit of fairly level ground hikes. The one favortie of theirs, was Whetsone Gulf gorge. Five miles around a breath taking gulf.

Now that they are older, the hiking bug has kicked in big time for my husband and I. Just yesterday we went to Blue Mt trail and hiked to the Summit. Our little min pin joined us, lol. Actually he faired way better then I. It was our first hike that actually involved extensive climbing. But after real slow going, (alot of people passed us) we made it.

I've been reseraching ever since I got home, and can't wait for the next hike.
Even more exctied to have found this forum, so I can learn and share experiences with everyone else. :clap:

CloudNine 08-03-2005 10:43 PM

HI! I'm Trish, 37, and a paddler (paddle-bagger???) Canoe camping, almost every year for about *yikes* 30 yrs now - preferably on motorless lakes.
Grew up in small town between Saratoga and Albany, and now reside in Greenwich NY. Come from a family with 5 kids, so parents introduced us early on (cheap vacation)to "wilderness camping" (I prefer the solitude of primitive sites to campgrounds anyday). Went to college near Spfld MA, and lived in New England for 12-ish years, but UpstateNY always felt like home to me,so here I am again. (Conveniently skipping over a dozen years or so and all the whos, woes, whens, whats, whys and wherefores)
Suffice it to say I've FINALLY met the right soul and we were recently married (July 17th :dance: ). I have a daughter (age 6) who I've been taking camping since she could walk and she's a darn fine little paddler now and a pretty good fisherman, too.... and now 2 stepdaughters (twins - age 9) that I'm trying to teach to paddle (5 people plus gear in one canoe won't cut it, so we take 2 canoes now, my daughter in the bow of my canoe and his twins take turns in the bow of his)

Favorite places to paddle/camp: Cedar River Flow (my avatar), although not NEARLY as nice as is used to be *sniff*, over the years becoming a victim of overuse and carelessness. I love it because its such a part of my past, my present, and now MY family's past and present as well...Its one of the first places my folks ever took us, and I know the place like the back of my hand. First place I took my daughter, too.
Lake Lila (my NEXT avatar) *sigh*, where I plan to have my ashes scattered one day (so much for leaving no trace! :rolling: )

There is something majestic and almost spiritual in the ancient mountains, lakes and forests of the Adirondacks. I love the sense of renewal I feel just being there - no matter how tough the going or what the weather is: the air, the views, the serenity, the smells, the sounds... *ahhh* :)

Glad I found this place - think I'll stick around for a while.

Wildernessphoto 08-03-2005 10:58 PM

Lila

Hi Trish!
Glad your on board.
I see you like Lake Lila too.
Here's a shot from last year to hold you over...

CloudNine 08-03-2005 11:11 PM

Nice! Thanks for that!!!!

If I know the road is clear, I might head up Sept or Oct for a coupla days.... Just one more to share (in this thread - until I find my way around better) - from a slightly different point of view (Helms Aero out of Long Lake :thumbs: - took a flight with my daughter last September)

mediclimber 08-22-2005 03:53 PM

I'm a Paramedic/Rescue Tech in PA. When not working, I enjoy hiking, kayaking, and rock or ice climbing. I'm 47 and divorced. I started in the woods when i was old enough to walk and have been there ever since. A day does not go by that i'm not thinking of the next trip of one of the last ones.

treg 08-25-2005 07:32 PM

hi everyone

I'm 45 and have been hiking in the adirondacks since I was 15, Fell in love with the outdoors and did a few summers in Yellowstone on a trail crew. I've climbed 33 high peaks and most of the big mountains in new england. The past 7 years I've concentrated on running and mostly trail running. I live in western mass area and run with my son when I can keep up with him. I'm married with 3 kids and coach baseball and am starting a running club for kids soon.

happy trails, Tom

w_g_henderson 08-30-2005 11:30 AM

the wanderer

Hello folks.
Love the site.

I was born in Gloversville, grew up running the woods of Bleeker mountain, fishing the West Canada in Herkimer and Hamilton County, frolicking in the Sacandaga, and graduating from Johnstown High School.

My life is sustained by the great outdoors.

Moved to Michigan in 84 where I became an avid hunter, and great lakes fisherman. Nearly fished everyday from ice-out to the first freeze around Harsen's Island (located at the mouth of the St. Clair river).

Travelled the US extensively. Hunted Montana's eastern prairies to the west near Billings (favorite). Idaho's panhandle, backpacked/hunted Colorado's Maroon Belles, waterfowl and pheasants in the Dakota's and parts of western Kansas.

Enjoy outdoor photography immensely too (newbie). Some of the most beautiful hikes I have made were in the Adirondacks,as well as, Mt. Rainier in Washington and some very nice hikes near Snohqualmie Falls east of Seattle and the Cascades.

Two most recent vacations were in Az. and Vegas where we went to Tombstone, Tucson, the Grand Canyon (helicopter ride... so cool), and Lake Meade.

I try to make it a point to get back to upstate NY twice a year. Family still lives in the area.

Oh... and I work too. Plastic injection molds and part design engineer for mostly automotive interior parts... mostly. :)

Nuff said

hikercop45 08-30-2005 02:14 PM

Hi - this is a good idea - you see every one writing in you dont know them...
Im 50 - work as a Police Officer - hike ,camp, kayak and hunt when time allows. I have been in the woods since I was a youngun - active in scouting and still am - enjoy teaching others about the woods and the outdoor life - used to guide back in the late 70's and early 80's - I have come to a point in my life where I enjoy the solitude of the woods - sitting and relaxing has become second to hiking and peak bagging. I live in the Oneida NY area - have a son who lives in Clifton PArk - not too far from the woods in any direction....

Judgeh 08-30-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikercop45
Hi - this is a good idea - you see every one writing in you dont know them...
Im 50 - work as a Police Officer - hike ,camp, kayak and hunt when time allows. I have been in the woods since I was a youngun - active in scouting and still am - enjoy teaching others about the woods and the outdoor life - used to guide back in the late 70's and early 80's - I have come to a point in my life where I enjoy the solitude of the woods - sitting and relaxing has become second to hiking and peak bagging. I live in the Oneida NY area - have a son who lives in Clifton PArk - not too far from the woods in any direction....

Hikercop, let me know when you want to climb a few peaks with the legal beagles!

hikercop45 08-31-2005 01:40 AM

Id be honored

me9837 08-31-2005 09:54 PM

Hello!
My name is Matt, I currently live in Latham, NY and I am 23 years old. I attended SUNY Albany and was always interested in the outdoor club. Unfortunately, I never had the time to join; I was just too busy with work and school.
Currently I work for an automotive aftermarket company in which I am finishing up an executive management training program. I guess with all of the traveling I have done within the past year, I have realized how beautiful our world is. This has been my motivation to get out.
I really enjoy this site and love "stopping by" each day to get caught up. Everyone I have chatted with has been very informative and helpful.

Cheers,

-Matt

WeedHopper 10-04-2005 01:19 PM

Hello All,
First of all a quick thanks for this site....I've been a lurker here for about six months now and I have enjoyed looking in from the outside! :)

About myself........I Live in Rochester with my wife and 3 kids. I've car camped my entire life of 42 years. I started canoe camping and backpacking about 5 years ago and can't get enough of it. My only back country experience has been the Adirondacks. But I've day-hiked in a lot of places. I'm doing my first high peak this weekend, and am hoping to complete the 46R's along with my wife.

Joel 10-08-2005 10:56 PM

I'm 46 (that can't be!), married with 4 grown children and a 14 yr. old son who is the only person I know who loves beautiful upstate New York as much as I do. We live on a dirt road off a dirt road and run 150 Colonies of honey bees. My wife, my son and our Australian Shepherd, Mick, travel 500 miles (round trip) to NYC Greenmarket (through the absolutely wonderful Catskills) 40 Saturdays a year to sell our bee-wares. My grandmother who raised me was mother nature and allowed me to spend my young life in the forest where I feel most at home. I've climbed 14,000 ft peaks in Colorado, had a standoff with a moose in the Tetons and helped build and maintain sections of the fingerlakes trails in the '70's. We love canoing in the Ad's (especially those hidden estuarys) and listening to the Loons.

I've read numerous post and really enjoy getting the chance to live your experiences. Finding this post is kind of like that chance encounter at a portage, meeting someone you've never met but somehow recognize a new friend. Thanks for sharing!

mikeharo 10-17-2005 11:13 PM

My name is Mike H. I am from Northeast PA. I am a junior at Penn State. I have been visiting Lake Placid for 15 years. I learned to ski at Whiteface. I now race for the PA State Team. I love to be outside, its impossible to loose with whatever activity it is. I am a climber, trad lead to .10, face climb to mid .10. I love to ride my mountain bike, although lately a road bike is calling my name for some reason. That's about it, I love to climb, ride, ski, hike, run, mostly be outside. Thanks for listening. I would love to talk to any of you, feel free to send me an instant message or an email.

Thank you

Mike

kurtteej 10-18-2005 05:18 PM

I'm 44 and live on Long Island. I live in the town that I spent most of my growing up years [you think that's bad, my brother bought my grandmothers house on the other side of town that we lived in until he was 11].

I have a degree in Accounting, with minors in Economics and Comp Sci as well as an MBA with a concentration in Information Systems Management. I spent 1995-early 2005 doing the dot-com shuffle. I made some money there and recently purchased a good chunk of a payroll processing business here on Long Island.

My interests are - building web sites, writing financial software (loser hobby huh?!?), hiking/backpacking/the great outdoors and photography.

Edelweiss 10-18-2005 09:22 PM

Hi All-
I am a newly-retired teacher who has lived near the Adirondacks most of my life. After many years of hiking and backpacking within the constraints of job and raising a family, I am now able to devote more time to my outdoor passions. My hiking and backpacking partner who also happens to be my husband is observing this new chapter of my life with more than passing interest, even a bit of envy. I keep reassuring him that his retirement will come soon enough. Meantime, I am free to hike mid-week if the spirit moves me. Amazing! :clap:

Edelweiss