Panther Mountain (the small one) 9-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Mountain (the small one) 9-30

My mother and I went to Saranac Lake on Friday to visit the lumberyard and Aldi, and on the way we went up Panther Mountain. It's just south of Upper Saranac Lake and east of the route 3/30 junction at Wawbeek. I hadn't been there yet, and wasn't sure if it would be too steep for her but she did fine. The view from the top was very nice, and the trail was easy to follow, though muddy in a few spots with all the rain we had in the latter part of September. This is the first mountain I climbed since Mount Arab at the end of May, but I am hoping to have much more time for recreational things next year once the house is completed and I'm caught back up on my income-producing work.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Zach,
    Good to see you're getting out and about...at least a little bit.
    I was wondering if you'd made the move to the new place, I guess you did!
    I hope everything is going according to plan.
    Which directions were you facing for those scenic pics?

Comment

That's very nice of you. We moved August 25th, and things are going according to plan but a bit more slowly than I had hoped. I got the wood stoves into the house and workshop about a week ago since the weather was getting colder, but have not built any kitchen cabinets yet. I hope you'll stop by when you're in the area, we'd always be glad to see you.

I think the first picture is Follensby Pond, and the second is Simon or Simond Pond or Lake, depending which map you believe. The overlook on Panther opens in a generally south and west direction as best I could tell from the sun, as I didn't have a compass on hand. I would have liked to figure out what some of the mountains were, but my National Geographic map has helpful text boxes that cover them from view.

Comment

Nice little hike!
        we too have been busy on a retirement home we bought in Newcomb.
        Not much time for recreation is there?

Comment

Zach,
          Have you ever used peakfinder? Or maybe the simulated views imbedded in CalTopo?
          I've come to the realization that I'm just not good at identifying the various peaks, unless I'm very familiar with them.
          Anyway, using the simulated view from Panther Mt (the little one) and looking toward Follensby Pond, the peaks directly behind are, left to right, Seymor, Seward, Donaldson.

Comment

Gene43t, I hope that your project is coming well and that you'll have time for recreation soon. I keep telling myself that next year I'll have a lot more free time, and I think it's going to be true.

Stripperguy, thanks for the help. I don't know much about these kinds of modern innovations, but they sound very useful. Thanks for identifying the mountains for me. I've gotten so I can recognize our local mountains (Arab, Morris and Matumbla) from the various directions from which they are easily seen, but they're about all I know yet.

Comment

Zach
              Current project is a new woodstove and chimney; the chimney is up. Need to get a hearth pad made.
              Always seems to take longer than I plan lol.
              But I do enjoy the process, and I hope you do as well.

Comment

I hope the hearth pad will go smoothly for you. Good for you about the chimney, it's getting to the time of year when it's nicer not to have to go on the roof too much. I had to put floor ember protectors in the house and the workshop this fall and ended up using cement board and ceramic tile which was pretty cheap but involved learning some new things.

Comment

Working...
                X