Auction bargains? Waxable x country skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction bargains? Waxable x country skis

Picked up two pairs of Xc skis recently for $2.50 at an auction. They look to be in good shape - I switched out the bindings on one pair with those of a newer vintage. Now learning the ins and outs of glide and kick wax. Question? When do you know they need a complete stripping and pine tar rehab?

Originally posted by salar4me View Post
    Picked up two pairs of Xc skis recently for $2.50 at an auction. They look to be in good shape - I switched out the bindings on one pair with those of a newer vintage. Now learning the ins and outs of glide and kick wax. Question? When do you know they need a complete stripping and pine tar rehab?

I used to love my wooden waxable skis! I would strip when I started to see bare wood thru the pine tar. I had an old clothes iron I would use to give a base coat of wax over the pine tar. I'd use a very hard wax that would accept softer waxes as needed... What a art form and science waxable skis are! Enjoy!
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I looked up wood crosscountry skis on eBay...you did good! They are going for $50 to $180... I'll have to pull mine out of the garage and hang on a wall somewhere!
      Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
      Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Thanks Chairock - should be able to get through this season

Comment

There's definitely been a resurgence of wood skis in the past decade or so.

Like anything, it really depends on the condition though. If they were properly stored with camber blocks and the tails kept dry, then they can be valuable. Some brands/skis more that others.

Like wooden canoes, a lot people prefer the feel and sound of these over modern "plastic" skis. They claim they are smoother and quieter. YMMV.

Comment

You can search up a wood ski thread on Telemarktalk.com, however most of the guys there cite either woodskis.com or woodenskis.com. The guys on TT speak well of the wood skis site.

Comment

Working...
            X