Lightweight canoe -- Hornbeck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lightweight canoe- definitely Hornbeck

I lived in Vermont for 30 years, now a Western Mass resident. Borrowed a Hornbeck 5 years ago and fell in love. One way to manage the dillema is to find a used one. After paddling a kevlar, I found a 10 yr old carbonfiber 12 foot boat- weighs 14 pounds. Cost $1200, and it's great! See my post on Hornbeck seats- I did a small modification to allow me longer paddles (like 3-4 hours on Lows lake) without a cramped back. I've been solo and on group single boat trips. Portaging is such a breeze. Craig's list or Facebook marketplace seem to be the places to go.

Hope you find what you want!

Comment

VermontDacker - Did you check out the used Hornbeck in this forum's classifieds? It was listed the other day so that's a start. There's more about it in post #11 of this thread.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Dibs! I already told the seller I want it; trying to arrange to meet to get a look at it right now...

Comment

I use a 12' Hornbeck also which has served me well for many years.

Swiftt makes a 12 foot pack boat with a very comfortable seat (so I've been told).

Comment

Have you had a chance to follow up with Adirondack Canoe? I have never owned a Hornbeck but paddled a somewhat similar Slipstream Impulse 13 for a couple of years (Slipstream is worth checking out; good quality and cust service). I have ended up with an Adirondack Boreas; I think the build quality is on a par with Hornbeck and like the stiffness from the foam in the floor. I got it with the scratch pad which has done it's job in some rocky streams.

Comment

A few things to consider. I am in my early 70s and own a classic Hornbeck. Each brand/make/model of canoe has its tradeoffs. Lightweight canoes are often not as durable as heavier ones. For instance, I wouldn't try to push over a beaver dam in my Hornbeck while still seated in it while I would have no trouble doing it in what I consider a more durable canoe like royalex. I also find that as I age, I need to enter and exit my Hornbeck while standing in the water almost knee deep. I don't dare try to enter if I can't stand in the water. At my age, I no longer have the strength and flexibility to do otherwise. Most portages are suitable for this, but not all. This being said, I'm pleased with my Hornbeck but do recognize its limitations and if needed, opt for a different canoe (I have several. Entry & exit from the canoe was a concern I had before purchasing the Hornbeck but the folks there are wondeerful and showed me the technique. Good luck with your selection of a canoe, no matter what your choice.

Comment

EagleCrag, that's very true, but the flip side is that the same aging process that reduces strength and flexibility when getting in and out of the canoe makes it harder, or impossible, to carry a heavy canoe.

It's a shame that affordable, lightweight canoes pretty much do not exist.

Comment

Working...
                X