Raquette River day trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raquette River day trip

Going to have the second annual family canoe/kayak trip this year on the July 4th weekend. Last year we did the Stoney creek ponds down to Axton landing. This year we are considering Axton landing to the Crusher. Was wondering if anyone could provide some info on that section of the river.
    How long +/- the trip would take
    How busy will the motorized boats be
    Any recommendations for side trips (Follensby Pond)
    Any other routes for a day rip in the area that you would recommend
    Any info appreciated

According to my measurements, it's about 7 miles from Axton to the Crusher.

On a busy weekend you may pass a few motorboats over the course of a few hours, but I have not found them to be too obnoxious on the river.

I paddled up Follensby Pond Outlet quite a few years ago as far as I could without crossing posted land. I'm pretty sure it's still posted where some maps and all aerials show a dirt road crossing.

Some of the campsites offer nice sandy places to swim. Campsite 16 has a nice rock ledge to swim from.

A more interesting day trip would maybe be from Axton up to High Falls. High Falls is a great opportunity to look around (I think there are two water falls around there if I remember correctly.) That trip would also offer some sandy bottomed areas for swimming. That would be about an 11 mile round trip - which is about 3 hours of paddling.

Comment

Crash,
      You may be thinking about Axton to the rapids on the Raquette River.
      That's a really nice day paddle. Upstream on the way to the rapids and an easy float back to Axton.

Comment

Jim,
        You are right. I was using my memory for some of that post. I got this confused with High Falls on the Oswegatchie upriver of Inlet. Upriver from Axton is Raquette Falls.

My notes say Raquette Falls has three small waterfalls (along with the rapids). From what I remember, the current between Axton and Raquette Falls is not too strong, but certainly it is quicker to go downriver than upriver. But an average paddle speed of 3 mph would still apply when averaged across your upriver and downriver paddles. According to Jamieson's Adirondack Canoe Waters North Flow, the distance between Axton and Raquette Falls is 6.5 miles, so a better estimate is that this is a little more than 4 hours of paddling round trip. (I would guess about 2 1/2 hours upriver and 1 1/2 hours downriver).

Comment

No big deal, Crash.
          Your notes are correct about several separate rapids between the start of them and where they end at Mother Johnsons old cabin. (gone now)
          Good memories!

Comment

All thanks for info. Had great day on the river. Took about 4 hours to float and fish from Axton landing down to the crusher, as per DEC sign 7 miles. Had a consistent wind blowing which kept the bugs at bay but definitely made for a slow float. Thinking next trip will be up and back to the falls

Comment

Sleepy - How did you do fish wise?

Comment

A forest gnome once told me that there are some nice Brown Trout waiting to be caught in Raquette Rapids.

Comment

The fishing was pretty good in about 2 hours caught and released 3 pike and 1 bass. Largest pike was 24 inches. Nice fight in small kayak and light tackle!! After the 2 hour mark got the evil eye from the lovely Mrs. and had to start paddling I didn't fish at all the last half but will definitely schedule another adventure some great looking stretches of river just upstream from the crusher. Boat traffic was minimal during our 4 1/2 hours on the river Sunday July 3rd, saw 5 motorized boats all very respectful with speed and wake.

Comment

I must be out of date (no surprise) but what is "The Crusher"?

Comment

It's the boat launch on the Raquette on Route 3 east of Tupper Lake. It is called that because a stone crusher was parked there when the highway was being built some time ago, from what I have been told.

Comment

Thanks Zach.

Comment

Working...
                        X