Some mid winter flyfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some mid winter flyfishing

IMG_9156.jpg Hello all, finally found our local rivers at a fishable level and I just had to take advantage of the incredible weather and opened the window and crawled through. No hits for the first 2 hours but as the sun warmed the water a few more degrees it turned the trout on. Had constant action for the next 1 1/2 hours! 6 rainbows and one brown and like always, lost an epic big rainbow that did a great job imitating a fresh steelhead. Breaking water several times and was able to throw the Olive Woolly Bugger on the last jump after it tore up the tailout of the pool. Easily 18”er or more. Here are some of the ones that hit the net. Hope you all are getting out taking advantage of the warm spell and having similar action . Tightlines! IMG_9156.jpg
    Attached Files
    "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Very nice day. I'm envious. Were you euronymphing, high sticking or indicator fishing?

Comment

No , actually it took awhile to find them. All of the ones I hooked were holding in the tail outs and were actually quite actively feeding. I waited til the warmest part of the day to get on the river. Usually around 2 pm. I think it really matters causing the fish to become active. I was just casting straight across and drifting an olive wooly bugger that has rubber legs and flashabou on it and it’s tied in a size #6 jig hook. Most of the fish hit this bugger on the slow swing and jigged slightly creating a lifelike action to the fly. One did hit my dropper fly which was a smallish weighted stonefly nymph.
      "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Working...
      X