Plans for deer season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for deer season?

There hasn’t been much activity here about deer hunting the past year or two, let’s change that! What is everyone’s plans for the upcoming Adirondack deer season?
    I live outside the park on the St. Lawrence Valley, so most of my Adirondack hunting consists of day trips to an area I have hunted for the past 20 years or so in the High Peaks Wilderness area. Last year I set up a wall tent camp and hunted out of that from 11/5-11/15. 8 deer sightings in 10 days, no bucks. The weather was quite warm, mostly mid 50’s as daytime highs. I’m doing it again this year, and am planning on 2 full weeks, but personal commitments may cut it a little shorter.
    I would love to hear what everyone else has planned!

Just a few pics of last years camp. All the necessities in the middle of the wilderness!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by northernbill; 10-01-2022, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Not in the Adirondacks this year, but in NZ. There was an acorn crop where I hunt, but it wasn't overloaded like last year. Maybe the deer will have to do more walking to find nuts

Comment

I wanted to rake my Son to Pillsbury. Not going to make it this year. I don't have enough vacay saved up with the new job I am blessed to have. I was so looking forward to having him experience the wonder that is the Pillsbury area in the snow...

Comment

I am usually pretty good at identifying lean-tos from photos, but you stumped me on this one. Lol.
          "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
            I am usually pretty good at identifying lean-tos from photos, but you stumped me on this one. Lol.
            If you figure it out, please keep it between you and me. I’m hoping for that spot again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by northernbill View Post
              If you figure it out, please keep it between you and me. I’m hoping for that spot again this year.
              Of course!
              "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Thanks for kicking off the season. I'll be heading up with a group from November 5th to 12th. Will be hunting between Tupper and Saranac Lake. Been doing it for the last 40 years. Started out camping along Corey's road but last 10years have been renting a house in Tupper. As the troops have aged the creature comforts have become a must but still a great time to get away retell the old stories and make some new ones. Our hunting success depends on the status of the rut and if we are lucky to get a little snow. Missed a monster last year but attached is a picture of the buck I got in 2020. Good luck to all and let us know about your adventures
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Week of Thanksgiving will be at Deer Camp in the Speculator area hope for some snow a few inches

Comment

My season began Sept. 27. No arrows tossed by me yet, but my cousin missed one last week. I sighted in three lever guns yesterday for the season: my little .30-30 Trapper that has taken most of my Adirondack bucks, and a new (to me) .30-30 that belonged to an old friend who passed earlier this year, and my dad's old .44-Mag M94. Gonna start with my dad's gun, as it hasn't killed a buck since 1973. It's due. We'll start pounding the hills next weekend with the muzzleloaders, which is one of my favorite times to be in the woods if it's not too hot. Good luck all!
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Same here, season started 9/27, passed on a spike and doe at 15 yds.. Will as usual spend about 50% of my time in the core of the Tug Hill Plateau and 50% in the Black River Wild Forest in the ADKs. Neighbor killed a 200lb Black Bear last Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I’m heading up the second week of November to our club in Long Lake. Looking forward to getting away. Tough year last year with warm temps. Hoping for cold and snow like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by northernbill View Post
                          Just a few pics of last year's camp. All the necessities in the middle of the wilderness!
                          That looks a lot like my camp! I'm headed up 11/4-11/11, and I can't wait. I was fortunate enough to get on one last year. Good luck, everyone!
                          This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Dern. you guys take hunting to another level.
                            "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

A couple of close calls for us this weekend, pretty thick in the woods but so it is this time of year. My brother has had this big guy (or girl) messing around with his garbage cans in Queensbury. 311994132_5604327552988669_8549553921700514604_n.jpg
                              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
                              X