Hunting Deep Backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr_1400 View Post
    Awesome deer, Buckladd. Congrats to you! Would love to hear the stories. Tree stands? Still hunting?
    Hoping this coming weekend the combo of weather change and the rut get the bucks moving more than I’ve seen thus far.
    We make deer drives and both of these bucks were shot by drivers. One, was wounded the week prior and we tracked it over a mile on opening day, so it was gratifying to catch up to it a week later, which is why we hunted there. We learned a lot about deer with leg wounds. Still, overall we're not seeing a lot of deer but still have some places to hunt where we haven't yet.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Nice work by you and your crew Buckladd!! Congratulations.
      I stillhunted hunted some favorite haunts in central adirondacks last weekend. Didn't see any deer but the rub and scrape activity was pretty good.

Comment

Last Call

It was a slow year in my neck of the woods. I saw does, but no bucks. Same deal as usual - some folks had good fortune and others not so much. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow and maybe Sunday with the muzzleloader to close out the northern zone. Good luck to all that are heading out this weekend. Be safe and have fun!

Comment

I was thinking about this thread. After we got a few bucks early on things slowed down, but picked back up late season when it finally cooled off. Since around Thanksgiving deer have been moving, we got another decent 7-pointer and had a few misses.

I've been out around the house with the muzzleloader this week with a few close chances but no luck. I'll shoot does here, but not in our mountain hunting spots. Tomorrow (Saturday) we're bagging it due to the rain, but have a plan for Sunday.

Overall, this has been a strange year. Very unpredictable, but that's deer hunting.
          Attached Files
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

That looks like a nice crew Buckladd. It's all about the cameraderie to me, much more so than the killing, though that is rewarding and memorable too.

Comment

Buckladd,

What a great photo - lots of smiles and some new stories and memories created.

Comment

Dan, Very nice buck pics from your group . looks like a decent season with many opportunities for the guys & gals you hunt with. Our club had some decent success(I
                missed a nice one), but the theme of the deer season was all the small bucks that our members let go, i know of at least 11-12 spike and 3pt. bucks that were given a pass. The norm would usually be a couple. With this many young ones making it thru the season our hope is for next season and beyond. Congrats to all who harvested a buck/bear this past season in or near the Adirondacks.

Comment

Hunting Deep Back Country

Congrats to all the successful hunters and to the rest for their efforts.
                  Here are a couple from our camp in Speculator.
                  [ATTACH]IMG_0631.jpg

Resized_20211201_112809_4692.jpg[/ATTACH]
                  ~ADK's UPHILL ON THE WAY IN & UPHILL ON THE WAY OUT~

Comment

Couple of good looking bucks there 1bluefin. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Would you guys mind divulging some of your tactics for hunting up north?

I'm not talking about locations, blah, blah... just what you put into in terms of finding potential places. How big are we talking? I'm typically used to southerntier hunters using 100-200 acres, but even then that's often with help of multiple hunters. Typically, from those I know, they could bring 2-3 deer per 100 acres, maybe a buck and two doe. I'd imagine the ADKs have much less deer density and thus you're probably lucky to have one deer harvest per 100 acres. But I have no idea, that's why I'm asking...

Also, do you not have doe tags up north? Or do you prefer to fill those elsewhere and just go for buck?

Also a bit curious about getting a deer back out of wilderness. I'd assume that has some bearing on what you're willing to spend a bullet on.

I've only talked to a few people who hunt on leases, and they use 4 wheelers, and have lots of logging roads to access. I'm more interested in those who are hunting the forest preserve and don't have that luxury.

Comment

Hunting deep back country

I'm retired and hunt 4 - 5 day's a week so I have lots of time invested. That being said I hunt alone or with 2 - 5 other camp members and I only saw 5 - 6 deer the entire season in the Speculator area. Doe are only allowed during the archery or muzzleloader seasons. We do not shoot doe or very rarely spike horns. Our group passed up 5 spike horns hoping to see 2.5 year old bucks next year. Shooting a doe is like killing three deer if she gets pregnant. We hunt a lot of back country around the "BIG Range" and deer are pretty scarce on state land not enough food and no low growth vegetation to support them so depending on how far back we are determines what size bucks we shoot. The father back the bigger the bucks we will take. It can be a major chore dragging a good size buck out of the woods over mountains and through streams in the dark sometimes. It is worth it after many miles hunting and the effort involved. My gps had accumulated close to 100 miles hiked this past season (got to see a lot of outstanding country).

Comment

Yup - I kind of figured areas of low density you wouldn't be allowed doe tags, but I was interested. Deer are overpopulated in many southern regions so they let the doe tags fly. In fact there's a movement by foresters to get more people to shoot more deer in these areas to promote maple sugar maple regeneration and deter beech growth.

Do you constantly move? Stalk? Set up stands or blinds?

I'd assume a good portion of your scouting is looking for food sources?

I'm used to a couple things people do down here, and that's set up stand or blinds near areas where they think the deer will move, or set up and have others try to push the deer toward them. I'm assuming you do that as well, but just have larger areas and more difficult terrain to deal with.

Comment

Montcalm, 3 of us hunt out of a wall tent that is a 2 1/2 mile hike from our vehicles. There are no cuttings/ logging operations near us, that being said we see very few deer a season. I believe the rule of thumb for the Adirondacks is 1 deer per square mile?? We mainly still hunt and try to take a watch during dawn and dusk. Hope for tracking snow. I've hunted the same area for 8 years and much of it on snow and can attest in that area there are no common saddles,ridges,, stream crossing, etc. that are used repeatedly enough to warrant setting up a semi permanent tree stand or blind. We mainly drag bucks out a Jet Sled, snow or leaves, we've found that works for us. Hope this helps.
                            Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Yeah that's great, thanks.

I don't think I'll be trying anytime soon, but it sounds like quite the adventure. I see why so many people buy hunting land in the southern tier.

1 sq. mile makes sense, that's 640 acres. That's a big area to cover, but not impossible.

Comment

Hunting deep back country

Actually beech nuts are a very desired food mast but only develop every few years on older growth trees. In the ADK's there are no feeding areas or bedding areas as in the southern zone. Deer just wonder around and browse on what ever they can find. They do feel safer on the tops of mountains where they can see down and have a good sense of smell for trouble. As far as scouting we look for rubs on saplings and scrapes on the ground that bucks leave for their rutting activity.
                                Fresh deer poop beds and tracks are valuable sign as well. We do set up drives and kind of know where the deer go when pushed from experience. Drivers move very slowly so they have opportunity as well as a watcher. The bucks we hunt most likley have never seen a human or very few. They are very smart and know how to avoid exposure. The woods are like your living room they know when something is out of place and their sense of hearing, smell and eyesight makes them a formidable game animal. Thats why most bucks are taken during the rut when they let their guard down to be with a doe. Sometimes we set up cameras over scrapes and find that they only check them once every 7 - 10 day's they range 7 square miles easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X