A Few

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few

Wabbled a bit last weekend. Caught and released 22 of these guys, though not a fish over 10". Still great fun. Nymphing tomorrow from the Hornbeck.
    Attached Files
    http://www.adkwildernessguide.com

I'm not seeing the photo. I'll fix when I have a moment.

Comment

WoW!! Sounds like you had an amazing day GG! Can`t wait to see your photo.

I got out and enjoyed the beautiful day but produced my first goose egg of the new season. Still a great way to spend a day. Worked some kinks out in the process too.

WB
      "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Just curious when you're nymphing out of your Hornbeck do you use sinking line or floating line with a long leader? I'm new to fly fishing and learned how to tie this winter. I too have a Hornbeck and am excited about learning how to fly fish out of it. Thanks,
        Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
          Just curious when you're nymphing out of your Hornbeck do you use sinking line or floating line with a long leader? I'm new to fly fishing and learned how to tie this winter. I too have a Hornbeck and am excited about learning how to fly fish out of it. Thanks,
          An opinion: fly fishing out of a canoe is frustrating because you can't simultaneously manage the boat and cast. That leads you to troll, which is a one trick solution. If you look at what the really good guys use on the big western lakes it's all pontoon craft and float tubes. Float tubes are a good option for the Adirondacks because they're light and packable. If you search this forum you'll come across the great debate on float tubes vs canoes and with it a great deal of helpful information on both.

Most pond fishing is subsurface. For that, you need two lines. First is a clear intermediate that sinks at ~2in/sec. The second is a Type V full sink that sinks at ~6-8 in/sec.

Get this guy's book: http://www.mwflyfishing.net/ffspecialityitems.htm

You have to email him to get it but it's the most thorough and enjoyable book on the subject I've come across. After reading it you'll have had a lot of revelations and numerous questions you can go find your own answers to.
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

[QUOTE=vtflyfish;244285]An opinion: fly fishing out of a canoe is frustrating because you can't simultaneously manage the boat and cast. That leads you to troll, which is a one trick solution. QUOTE]

I don't know, it looks like you did ok when you tried it. Oh wait, that's not a fly rod.....
            Attached Files
            “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

[QUOTE=Glen;244291]
              Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
              An opinion: fly fishing out of a canoe is frustrating because you can't simultaneously manage the boat and cast. That leads you to troll, which is a one trick solution. QUOTE]

I don't know, it looks like you did ok when you tried it. Oh wait, that's not a fly rod.....
              So says the Bullhead King...
              Attached Files

Comment

I will just throw in that I wouldn't trade my Hornbeck for anything. Aside from it, my set up is incredibly low-fi, but I have caught a lot of nice fish via trolling flies and jigging/spincasting. VT is right about fly casting though. It can be quite frustrating from the boat, and as VT can attest, my PMs to him are evidence that I need to get a float tube and sound Stillwater rod for casting to structure for bigger brookies. I felt a little flustered on the water today--it was beautiful, loved paddling around, and caught a few, but I saw structure that I could not adequately work even though I had the right flies in my box.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Ghost View Post
                  I will just throw in that I wouldn't trade my Hornbeck for anything. Aside from it, my set up is incredibly low-fi, but I have caught a lot of nice fish via trolling flies and jigging/spincasting. VT is right about fly casting though. It can be quite frustrating from the boat, and as VT can attest, my PMs to him are evidence that I need to get a float tube and sound Stillwater rod for casting to structure for bigger brookies. I felt a little flustered on the water today--it was beautiful, loved paddling around, and caught a few, but I saw structure that I could not adequately work even though I had the right flies in my box.
                  No! No! You have to tie the flies to your line.

Comment

Congrats Gray Ghost on your success last weekend. I just got back from a 2 day outing with canoe and spinning gear this trip. Fished 2 different ponds and did not get a bite using a wide variety of proven items. First pond was a new one to me and about a 2 mile cart to get in. Gin clear water, 44 - 45 degrees, bright clear sky and high pressure did not help. Next day was about a mile carting job with same result. No insect activity to speak of. Both days were still fantastic to be out there. Looking forward to tubing and fly rod soon.

Comment

Does your Hornbeck have a keel? I found that watercraft without a keel were impossible to position. When I used a canoe (with keel) and was alone I would sit in the front seat reversed and put a fairly heavy rock in the front. That way the load was pretty well centred. The canoe would move a lot less while holding position and on a drift it would move much straighter and would require minimal corrections with the paddle. Without a keel though they were impossible.
                      Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
                        Pauly,
                        Your Hornbeck is more than adequate for flyfishing, contrary to the advice of some on this board there is no need to splash down another substantial amount of cash unless you have excess disposable income. Yesterday, I spent 5 hours in my Hornbeck flycasting 90% of the time and caught several these:

Carried the boat 5 miles total over rough and muddy terrain without difficulty. There was at times a stiff breeze but I handled it without much disruption. If the wind is a problem you can always bring a mesh laundry bag or an old onion bag that can be filled with rocks and some parachute cord for an anchor. There were 3 spots producing action on the pond about 0.4 miles apart, I could be at any one of them in less than a couple minutes. Try doing that in a tube with a breeze. Personally, I think my Hornbeck purchase was one of the most useful things I've ever spent money on. FYI, I was casting full sink line with an 8 foot fluorocarbon leader.

Comment

I agree that hornbecks (or almost any canoe) defenetly have many advantages over float tubes. It all depends on your style of fishing i guess.
                          Nice job catching some brookies.

Comment

Here's the thread that roundly discussed the virtues of both modes of transportation and fishing:

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...ght=float+tube

Enclosed is a pic from Montana. There were no canoes, the wind would have swamped them and blown them into North Dakota. Float tubes were manageable, safe and effective. Can't wait to go back in June. And no, I'm not taking a canoe with me, even if CW offers up his Hornbeck for the trip.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just wanted to say I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and the discussions we're able to have. I decided to check out some of the fb groups that are out there and literally every post of pond fishermen is that of multiple, often double digit dead fish. Just because I personally C&R doesn't mean it's wrong for those who don't but between what I see at a stream in Saratoga county (you probably know exactly which one) and people posting pics of them leaving a pond with 10+ dead brookies makes you frustrated. Not stirring a debate just venting
                              "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Lee Wulff

Comment

Working...
                              X